The Queally Center Expected to Open Fall 2016

<p>Construction of the Queally Center for Admissions and Career Services began during the summer of 2015.</p>

Construction of the Queally Center for Admissions and Career Services began during the summer of 2015.

When University of Richmond students returned to campus for the new school year, they most likely noticed a growing construction site at what will soon become the Queally Center for Admissions and Career Services.

Located next to Lora Robbins Court, the 3-story Queally Center will span 54,000 square feet and house five departments: the admissions office, the financial aid office, the Registrar, the Bursar and Career Services. Construction began in March of this year after approval of the project in 2014.

David Hale, vice president for business and finance and the treasurer of the University of Richmond, said that the construction’s timeline remains on track for a fall 2016 opening. The school is aiming to have the five departments make the move into the new Queally Center by summer of next year.

“It is a big move for lots of folks into that space. We hope we can accomplish that move so everything is done by the start of the fall semester,” Hale said.

The budget for the building was approved at $26.5 million and monetary plans remain on course. New campus access from River Road will be designed as a main entrance to the campus, to be called Richmond’s “front door.”

Controversy remains regarding the Queally Center’s namesake, Paul Queally, an alumnus from UR and member on the board of trustees. Last year, Queally was quoted in a New York Magazine article as telling sexist and homophobic jokes during the induction ceremony for a secret Wall Street fraternity called Kappa Beta Phi.

Queally was unavailable for comment. Students, however, have not forgotten his words.

“Passing by the construction site daily, I am looking forward to such a major project growing our campus. But I, for one, am not a fan of the person behind the change and neither are many of my friends,” said sophomore Grace Collins.

Hale is confident that the project, despite its many challenges location-wise, will proceed smoothly from here on out. From a construction vantage point, the greatest challenges have been imposed by the site itself, such as its slanted nature and granite present in the ground. The last few months focused primarily on the construction site and foundation work, so the construction from now until July will be finishing off the building itself. 

The Queally Center for Admissions and Career Services has an expected completion date of July 2016.

Contact news assistant Mariam Eatedali at mariam.eatedali@richmond.edu.