Weekly Spider Sports Recap

<p>Ashley Riefner takes a strong rip at the ball during Sunday's game against Cal Poly, which the Spiders lost 0-1. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics PR. </p>

Ashley Riefner takes a strong rip at the ball during Sunday's game against Cal Poly, which the Spiders lost 0-1. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics PR. 

Here's how the Spiders fared during the past week of competition:

Women's Soccer

Richmond soccer spent the weekend in Charlottesville at the UVA Nike Soccer Classic Tournament, where the team finished with a 4-0 win over the Delaware Blue Hens and a 0-1 loss to the Cal Poly Mustangs.

The first half of Friday’s game against the Blue Hens started off slowly, with a scoreless dry period that extended from the Spider’s first game–a 0-1 a loss to Campbell. The Hens outshot the Spiders 9-5 in the first half, but with the second half came a hungrier Richmond squad that quickly shifted the momentum, scoring four goals. The scoring began with Meaghan Carrigan, 2014 A-10 Conference Rookie of the Year, and was followed by sophomore Lexi Prillaman, freshman Bailey Cristian and senior Hannah Holub. Richmond keeper Katie Brennan held on to the shutout with five saves on the day, and Delaware’s Kailyn Rekos had four of her own.

Energy from Friday carried into Sunday’s game with a quick goal in the third minute from Carrigan. The Spiders were able to hold onto a 1-0 lead throughout the first half, but in the second half the Mustangs bounced back with two goals of their own. The first was a penalty kick scored by freshman Caitlyn Kreutz in the 60th minute. Brennan was able to reject a second penalty kick 20 minutes later, but the Spiders ultimately fell to a counterattack breakaway from Kreutz in the last 5 minutes of the game. The Spiders are currently sitting on a 1-2 record with their next game scheduled at home on Friday, Sept. 4.

Women’s Field Hockey

The Spiders, defending Atlantic-10 Champions, carried last season's momentum into two wins this weekend with a 2-1 win over the American University Eagles in overtime and a 2-1 win over the Drexel Dragons, both at home.

Friday marked the Spiders’ first home game of the season. After a scoreless first half, the Eagles’ Leah DiGiandomenico scored the first goal of the game just three minutes into the second half. The score stayed at 1-0 until freshman Laetitia Commeyne, who is currently A-10 Rookie of the Week, scored with ten minutes left in regular time to tie the game. This sent the game into overtime, where sophomore Megan Miller scored the game-winner for Richmond by scoring off a penalty corner.

Sunday’s victory against the Drexel Dragons was a special one for the Spiders because it marked Coach Gina Lucido’s 100th career game win. Senior Amy Cooke scored the first goal ten minutes into the game, giving the Spiders a lead they would hold onto for the remainder of the first half. Early in the second half, Richmond freshman Kelly Quinn scored the squad’s second goal of the day. Drexel was able to get on the scoreboard with a late goal by junior Idrienne Walker, leaving the game with a 2-1 victory for Richmond. The Spiders’ undefeated field hockey team will have their next game against Iowa at James Madison University on Friday, Sept. 4.