Chiddy Bang and Lil Dicky to perform Friday

<p>Chiddy Bang preforms at the Warwick Summer Party in 2010. Courtesy of Creative Commons.<strong></strong></p>

Chiddy Bang preforms at the Warwick Summer Party in 2010. Courtesy of Creative Commons.

Friday, Oct. 30 will feature the new university president, a homecoming concert featuring a nationally known rapper, and a different sort of homecoming concert for a University of Richmond graduate.

After a daylong presidential inauguration for Ronald Crutcher, students and alumni are encouraged to make their way to the Westhampton Green in front of Booker Hall. Doors open at 8 p.m. and students will be able to watch Richmond’s own DJ Matt Purdy open for the headliner, Chiddy Bang.

Each year Richmond's homecoming concert committee is responsible for planning the homecoming concert. The committee is composed of Spiderboard, Richmond College Student Government Association and Westhampton College Government Association, said Jordan Nguyen, president of Spiderboard. 

“This summer this committee polled the student body to gauge what genre of music students wanted to have at the concert," said Olivia Karahan, president of WCGA. "Over 900 students responded.”

After reviewing the results of this survey, the committee worked to secure artists that were available and within the concert’s budget. In the end, the committee selected Chiddy Bang, Nguyen said.

The real voting occurs during the concert, however. 

“Students vote with their feet, so their attendance is critical,” Karahan said. 

Every year student’s request bigger, better concerts and the committee would also love for this to be possible.

“The only way that we can justify this is by being able to demonstrate that students are engaging in the level of programming that we have now,” Nguyen said.

The second rapper on “Halloweekend’s” Eve is Lil Dicky. Although not a concert committee selection, Lil Dicky, Richmond alum turned rapper, will be performing after Chiddy Bang at a club downtown.

“The times don’t conflict – students who are interested in seeing Chiddy Bang and Lil Dicky have the same opportunity to do so," Karahan said. “The Homecoming concert is open to all students, while the other concert is more intimate and has a fee associated with it.”

At the homecoming concert there will be a variety of food trucks parked by the Westhampton Green before and during the event, Karahan said. Students should expect an evening filled with Chiddy Bang, Carytown Burgers, Opa’s Greek food truck and Return of the Mac, Mac & Cheese truck.

Contact News Assistant Holly Speck at holly.speck@richmond.edu