In the Know: Sotomayor visits Richmond Law; RCSGA hosts town hall forum

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

Justice Sotomayor to visit Richmond Law

Sonia Sotomayor, an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United Sates, will be speaking about her life and career on Tuesday, Nov. 17 at 4 p.m.

Sotomayor earned her B.A. from Princeton University and her J.D. from Yale Law School. She served as a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York before assuming the role of associate justice in August 2009.

The event is open to students, faculty and guests of the University of Richmond School of Law and is hosted by Dean Wendy Perdue.

Dining Hall selling holiday pies

The Heilman Dining Center is making holiday baking easy. If you order by Nov. 18 you can have pies ready for pick up on Nov. 23 after 4 p.m. or Nov. 24 by 2 p.m. The dining hall is offering a variety of pies, including pumpkin, sweet potato, bourbon chocolate pecan and carmel apple cheesecake.

Those interested can click here for the pull list and prices or call Crissy Poindexter at (804) 289-8512 to order.

“The Dark Side of Galaxy Evolution”

Andrew Hearin, RC' 03, postdoctoral associate at Yale Associate at Yale University, will be talking about, “The Dark Side of Galaxy Evolution.” The event will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 4:30 p.m. in Gottwald C114. Refreshments will be served after the talk.

Town Hall Forum on Legislative Affairs

The Richmond College Student Government Association (RCSGA) will be hosting its Fall 2015 Town Hall Forum next Thursday, Nov. 19 at 7 p.m. in Jepson 118. Students are encouraged to come and share their thoughts on issues like campus sustainability, mental health and sexual violence. Guest speakers include Director of Sustainability Rob Andrejewski, Director of CAPS Peter LeViness, and Chief of Police Dave McCoy.

The input received from students at this forum will be presented to Virginia lawmakers during the 2016 Legislative Session in January.

Suzanne Vega and Duncan Sheik to perform at Modlin

Singer-songwriters Suzanne Vega and Duncan Sheik will be performing together on Friday, Nov. 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the Modlin Center of the Arts in the Camp Concert Hall.

The two are teaming up as part of their tour, “Songs from New York City: From Bleeker Street to Broadway,” which celebrates New York City in song. The duo will perform their collection of hits as well as songs they collaborated on together for Vega’s 2011 off-Broadway debut, “Carson McCullers Talks About Love.”

The event is open to the public, but tickets are required. The tickets cost $40, with discounts for seniors and children. Thoe interested can click here or call (804) 289-8980 to buy tickets.

Department of Theatre and Dance presents "Intimate Apparel" 

The play "Intimate Apparel" opens this weekend in the Cousins Studio Theatre. Performances are on Thursday, Nov. 19, Friday, Nov. 20 and Saturday, Nov. 21 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 22 at 2:00 p.m. 

"Intimate Apparel" tells the story of Esther, a middle-aged African-American seamstress, who lives in a boarding house for women and sews intimate apparel for clients ranging from wealthy white patrons to prostitutes, according to the Modlin website. Click here for more information and ticket sales.  

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu