Richmond community holds vigil for victims of Paris attacks

<p></p>

The University of Richmond community held a candlelight vigil for the victims of the Paris attacks and global peace Monday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Forum.

The vigil included a moment of silence, candlelight, music and brief remarks from Craig Kocher, university chaplain. The gathering lasted approximately 15 minutes.

Andrew Beck, RC '17, helped lead the effort to have a vigil.

“I was watching the news come in, and just thought to myself that a vigil would be a good idea,” Beck wrote in an email. 

Jonathan Hayes and Kocher had done much of the organizing, Beck said.

Beck wrote that the vigil was meant to accomplish five things: "to remember and grieve for those whose who were lost in the recent attacks in Paris; to acknowledge that there have been many acts of violence in the world recently; to think and reflect about the recent attacks and to spark thought about events going on outside of the campus; to come together as a student body; and to do the right thing."

The ceremony opened with "La Marseillaise", "[It was] a great moment for us," Kimia Simon, a French student currently studying abroad at Richmond, said. "The fact that they made the effort to learn it and sing it was amazing.”

Schola, the Octaves and the Sirens performed three pieces, "La Marseillaise" (the French national anthem), "Oh Shenandoah" and "The Parting Glass" respectively.

"Obviously everyone here supports us and thinks about us, but it's not the same thing as to be around French people, and to be around this whole family,” Simon said. "Everyone loved what happened last night.”

Contact news editor Caroline McNamara at caroline.mcnamara@richmond.edu