In The Know: UR holds Hunting Ground screening; One Book, One Richmond and a wrongful imprisonment

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

Hunting Ground Screening

The documentary “The Hunting Ground” from Academy Award winning filmmakers Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering goes in depth about sexual assault on U.S. college campuses, their institutional cover-ups and the toll they take on students and families.

The screening will be held Tuesday, January 26 at 6 p.m. in the Alice Haynes Room of the Tyler Haynes Commons. The event is free and open to the public and is part of the WGSS Speaker Series. It is held in partnership with Westhampton College and Richmond College.

Inequality Rising: Towards An Aristocracy of Wealth?

The lecture “Inequality Rising: Towards An Aristocracy of Wealth?” will be presented by Ronald Formisano,chair of American history, Emeritus, at University of Kentucky. The lecture will be held Tuesday, January 26 at 7:30 p.m. in the International Center Commons. The event is free and open to all faculty, staff and students.

One Book, One Richmond: Wrongful Imprisonment

One Book, One Richmond will be holding their first event of the semester called, “27 Years: The Story of a Richmond Man’s Wrongful Imprisonment.” Thomas Haynesworth will be coming to the university to speak about his experience.

In 1984 Haynesworth was wrongfully convicted for a series of rapes when he was 18 years-old in Richmond, Va. He maintained his innocence until 2009 when new state laws allowed for DNA testing that proved that he was not guilty of the crimes. He was exonerated and the real perpetrator was identified through DNA testing. The Washington Post called the case “one of the state’s most extraordinary legal cases.”

Haynesworth will be speaking Wednesday, January 27 at 5 p.m. in the Brown Alley Room of Weinstein Hall. The event is free and open to all faculty, staff and students. A reception will follow the program.

Poker Studies Club’s first ever meeting

The Poker Studies Club will have its first ever meeting Friday, January 29 at 4 p.m. in the Tyler Haynes Commons in Room 240. Players of all skill levels are welcome for an information session that will explain what the club does and also provide an introduction to poker. For more details contact phasut.amarnani@richmond.edu for more information.

Hand Eye hosts eighth blackbird

Hand Eye is bringing together eighth blackbird, the multi-Grammy-winning ensemble-in-residence and Sleeping Giant, a composer collective. Hand Eye is made up of Ted Hearne, Robert Honstein, Christopher Cerrone, and Timo Andres. They will be performing Wedensday, January 27 at 7:30 p.m. in the Alice Jepson Theater.

The event is free for UR students, $20 for adults, $18 for seniors, $17 for UR employees and $10 for children. If you are interested and would like to buy tickets click here.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu