Richmond football loses another offensive coordinator

Richmond football lost its offensive coordinator for a second consecutive season on Saturday when Charlie Fisher became the head coach at Western Illinois. 

The move, which was reported by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, will force Richmond coach Danny Rocco to find a new offensive coordinator for the third time in two years. Brandon Streeter led Richmond's offense in 2014 and is now coaching quarterbacks at No. 1 Clemson. Steed Lobotzke replaced Streeter for three weeks last January before leaving to accept a coaching job at the Air Force Academy. 

Richmond quarterback Kyle Lauletta will now enter his fourth year with a fourth offensive coordinator. 

Under Fisher, the Spiders were one of the most prolific offenses in the FCS. Lauletta finished second in the country with 3,598 passing yards and running back Jacobi Green finished fifth with 1,595 yards on the ground. Brian Brown, who joined Green and fellow receiver Reggie Diggs as CAA First-Team members, finished third in the country with 1,450 yards.

As the coach at Western Illinois, Fisher will coach in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, which includes Illinois State and North Dakota State, Richmond's last two playoff opponents in 2015. 

Rocco will likely hire a new coordinator in the next few weeks.

Contact sports editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu