Winter Storm Jonas is large but not close to record-setting

<p>Photo by Hannah Matheson.</p>

Photo by Hannah Matheson.

Winter Storm Jonas, which rocked Richmond and much of the East Coast, was the biggest snowstorm in the region since 2000 and the 11th-largest snowfall of one storm recorded in the Richmond area.

Jonas dropped about 10 inches of snow, according to weather.com, and the brief period where temperatures rose and snow became sleet kept the storm from climbing up the ranks. This storm alone will ensure this January is one of the 10 whitest Januarys Richmond has seen since 1948.

The largest snowstorm to ever strike Richmond came in January 1940, when 21.6 inches fell on the city. To make matters worse, only 3 inches of snow had been predicted, causing the city to be ill prepared for the record-setting storm.

Jonas still caused its fair share of destruction, though. Virginia State Police had responded to more than 8,000 calls for service due to the storm through 7 a.m. Monday, according to the Augusta Free Press, and three people in Virginia died as a result of the storm.

The Virginia General Assembly, which recently began its 60-day session, declared a snow day Friday for just the second time in 48 years. 

University of Richmond cancelled most activities between noon Friday and 8:00 a.m. Tuesday. Virginia Commonwealth University reopened Tuesday morning, and many metro-area schools remain closed.

With highs expected to be in the 40s today, some of the snow is expected to melt.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu