Judge certifies two felony marijuana charges against former Richmond football player

A Richmond District Court judge certified two felony marijuana distribution charges against former University of Richmond football player Jeremiah Hamlin, who waived his right to a preliminary hearing, on Wednesday.

The charges, which included a Class 5 felony marijuana distribution charge and a Class 0 felony distribution of drugs near a school charge, will be heard by a Richmond Circuit Court grand jury sometime in March. 

Hamlin declined to comment following his hearing. 

Hamlin, who is no longer on University of Richmond’s football team and is no longer enrolled at Richmond, was arrested in October after picking up three pounds of marijuana at a local post office. He posted a $15,000 bond. 

A third-string running back, Hamlin gained 118 yards on 31 carries for the Spiders in 2015. With the departures of Jacobi Green and Seth Fisher, he was expected to be Richmond’s top running back next season.

Contact sports editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu