Former Richmond basketball star signs with the Detroit Pistons

BROOKLYN, NY - OCTOBER 5:  Justin Harper #35 of the Brooklyn Nets grabs the rebound against Fenerbahce Ulker during a preseason game on October 5, 2015 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)
BROOKLYN, NY - OCTOBER 5: Justin Harper #35 of the Brooklyn Nets grabs the rebound against Fenerbahce Ulker during a preseason game on October 5, 2015 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

Former Richmond forward Justin Harper, who led the Spiders to a Sweet 16 appearance, signed a 10-day contract Wednesday with the Detroit Pistons.

Harper, RC '11, starred on Richmond's NCAA Tournament teams in 2010 and 2011, when the Spiders reached the Sweet 16 before falling to Kansas. Harper ranks 12th in Spider history with 1,457 career points, and seventh all-time with 179 career 3-pointers.

Harper, who was named an all star this season with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League, has averaged 14.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 34 games this season.

The Pistons tweeted a highlight video Wednesday from his time in the D-League:

He spent time with the Pistons and Brooklyn Nets this past summer, making it to the Nets final roster cuts.

Harper, who is the third Spider to play in the NBA, was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the second round of the 2011 Draft. He was traded to the Orlando Magic where he played in 14 games in the 2011-12 season.

Contact editor-in-chief Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu