Women's basketball loses sixth straight to Davidson

Richmond mounted multiple solid comeback attempts against Davidson on Wednesday night, but just couldn’t quite catch up as the Spiders were left in the dust on Dream Big Day.

Despite placing four scorers in double digits, Richmond lost its sixth game in a row, in front of a crowd composed of many elementary and middle school students from the local area. The Spiders are 9-15 on the season after the 67-59 loss, brought down by a dismal 2-9 record throughout their conference schedule.

Karleigh Wike provided a strong interior presence, leading the way for the Spiders with 14 points and nine rebounds. Micaela Parson and Bria Powell each added 13 points of their own and Janelle Hubbard scored 10 to extend her streak of consistent double digit scoring. Hubbard has scored at least 10 points in all but three of the Spiders’ 24 games this season.

Richmond allowed Davidson to get off to a hot start that proved to much to overcome in the end. The Wildcats outscored the Spiders 21-11 in the first quarter before Richmond finally settled in during the second. They allowed Davidson to shoot exactly 50 percent from the field while being held to just 36 percent themselves in a disappoint game on both ends of the floor.

Mackenzie Latt torched the Spiders down low, finishing with 20 points (on efficient 9-14 shooting) and nine rebounds for the Wildcats. Alex Long and Hannah Early each had 12 points as well, rounding out the trio of Wildcat scorers in double figures. 

After winning five straight games to start the season, the Spiders have gone a meager 4-15 since that opening stretch. Its only conference wins came against winless Massachusetts and 1-10 La Salle, not exactly strong victories to be particularly proud of.

Richmond’s next chance to right the ship comes on Sunday against VCU when the Spiders will seek to win their first home conference game of the season. The Rams held Richmond to just 42 points in their last game in late January and the Spiders have failed to eclipse 48 points on this losing streak with Wednesday night as the lone exception.