Monday, April 29, 2024

In The Know: Solar panels to be installed on Weinstein Center, C-SPAN bus to visit campus and more

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around University of Richmond.

Richmond solar panel installation begins this week

After two years of planning, solar panels will be installed onto the roof of the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness. Rob Andrejewski, director of sustainability, said the specific type of solar panels are the first of their kind to be installed in North America.

The solar panels will allow the university to generate more than 226,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity per year, which would potentially offset more than 344,000 pounds of carbon dioxide. The electricity that can be generated from the solar panels is enough to power 21.5 American homes or one residence hall.

C-SPAN Campaign 2016 bus at University of Richmond 

C-SPAN’s 45-foot customized bus will be visiting the University of Richmond from 10-11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, March 1 in the Forum. The bus visits schools, universities and political events across the country in order to engage people through their on-board multimedia technology about the American political process. The bus also collects #cspanvoices to highlight student’s thoughts on important issues, candidates they support and if they are first time voters.

Super Tuesday Watch Party

The Bonner Center for Civic Engagement will be hosting a Super Tuesday Watch Party on Tuesday, March 1 from 7-11 p.m. in the Westhampton Living Room. Super Tuesday is the largest primary day in the country and is often a turning point in the election. More delegates can be won on Super Tuesday than on any other primary day.

This event is free and open to all undergraduate and graduate students, and light snacks will be provided.

Picasso and other works from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Modlin

“The French Horse from Gericault to Picasso: An Intercollegiate Seminar” will be presented by students in The French Horse Seminar on Wednesday, March 2 at 6 p.m. in the Camp Concert Hall. Dr. Betty Neal Crutcher will say the opening remarks. This will be followed by an opening reception and preview of the exhibition from 7:30-8:30 p.m.

University Museums are free and open to the public.

Final Four flatbread competition

After over 100 submitted flatbread recipes and suggestions, the final four recipes have been chosen and will be facing off. This week the Southwestern and Veggie Flatbread are competing to make it into the final two. Sample the flatbreads and then vote for our favorite in the café by ballot or email your favorite to nwillia2@richmond.edu.

"The Southwestern" Flatbread, $5, submitted by Alexis Anderson

Soft pita bread topped with chicken, sweet green peppers, creamy Monterey Jack cheese, drizzled with chipotle ranch dressing.

"The Veggie" Flatbread, $5, submitted by Marina Winkler
Bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and artichokes are layered atop a spread of pesto sauce on pita bread.

Contact news editor Helaine Ridilla at helaine.ridilla@richmond.edu.