In the Know: Greek organizations hold philanthropy events, B-School hosts C-suite Conversation

In the Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around the University of Richmond

Three major Greek philanthropy events to take place this week

Pi Beta Phi is hosting their second-largest annual event, Ballin’ for Books, at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, March 23, in the Weinstein Gym. Anyone can create a team and register to compete in the half-court basketball tournament, which benefits literacy.

Delta Gamma is hosting their annual Spike for Sight Volleyball tournament from 7-9 p.m. on Tuesday, March 22, in the Weinstein Gym. Anyone can create and register their team for the tournament, which benefits the Service for Sight organization.

Sigma Chi is hosting a week-long event called Derby Days to help raise awareness for the Huntsman Cancer Foundation. There will be planned events Monday through Friday, and a table will be set up in the commons Monday through Thursday to raise money.

Annual E-Waste Collection and Recycling event this week

Staff from The Office of Sustainability and Information Services will be present to help students, faculty and staff dispose their old electronics, such as computers, printers, phones and TVs, this Thursday, March 24. The electronics will be properly recycled, and information will be removed to prevent devices from ending up in the landfill. The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Lot B5, across from the Robins Center. 

Robins School of Business to host Dave Alpern for the next C-Suite Conversation

Richard Coughlan, senior associate dean of the Robins School of Business, will lead an unscripted interview with Dave Alpern, the president of Joe Gibbs Racing, an American Professional stock car racing team, this week. Students, faculty and business leaders are encouraged to participate in the conversation which will occur at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, March 22, in the Ukrop Auditorium. A networking breakfast will be held before the talk at 7:30 a.m. The event is free, but registration is required.

The Robins Debate to be held on Friday

The Robins School of Business will host a debate featuring students from all classes and majors this Friday from 1-6 p.m. on Friday, March 25. The event is open to all, and the three topics to be discussed by each team include: shareholder wealth maximization, the federal reserve's interest rates and U.S. tax policy driving businesses overseas. The event will be held in Ukrop Auditorium.

Department of Biology to host a speaker as part of their Seminar Series

Dr. Carlos A. Villalba-Galea, assistant professor in the department of physiology and biophysics at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, is set to speak on campus next week. The lecture, titled "“New molecular insights into the action of the anticonvulsant Retigabine" is part of the Department of Biology Seminar Series and will take place in the Gottwald Auditorium at 12 p.m. on Monday, March 21. Registration is not necessary.

Science-Fiction writer and Nebula Award nominee to speak about her debut novel

Fran Wilde, a short fiction writer and author of the novel "Updraft" will speak on campus this week about the writing, publishing and marketing of her first novel. The event, which is sponsored by the Writing Center and the Cultural Affairs Committee, will take place at the University of Richmond’s alumni center in Rosenbaum room 114, from 4:30-5:30 p.m. on Monday, March 21. No registration is required.

The Nebula Award recognizes authors for outstanding work in the science-fiction or fantasy genres published in the U.S. in the past year. 

Passport Cafe to host soiree events

Passport Cafe will host its final two soirees on March 24 and March 31. The soirees will be held in the courtyard of the Weinstein International Center, and will offer complementary food and drink, including popular Passport specials such as Italian sandwiches, Japanese sushi rolls and Belgian cream puffs.