Campus police issue timely warning on rape

University of Richmond Police Department issued a timely warning Friday evening announcing a rape

<p>The Special Programs Building houses transportation services,&nbsp;the student health center, university police department and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies.&nbsp;</p>

The Special Programs Building houses transportation services, the student health center, university police department and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. 

On Friday evening, the University of Richmond Police Department sent a mass timely warning email to the university community announcing a reported rape.

“The only information provided at this time is that the incident took place at an unknown residence hall on campus during the early morning hours of October 28, 2016,” the email read.

Campus Security Authority (CSA) reported the incident to campus police Friday afternoon. CSA is composed of staff assigned to assist in providing the university an annual safety and security report. Those in the group also receive and report offenses to campus police.

Halloween celebrations began on Oct. 27th and will likely continue through Halloween night. The U.S. Department of Justice reports that 1 in 3 sexual assaults are committed by someone who is intoxicated.

“If things get out of hand or you feel uncomfortable, to the extent possible, be forceful, be loud, leave and seek assistance,” the campus police encouraged in the email. “Don’t be a passive bystander.”

Contact reporter Julia Raimondi at julia.raimondi@richmond.edu