New albums on Spotify you should be listening to

University of Richmond's own campus radio station, WDCE, has compiled five of the best new albums available now on Spotify. Reviewed by the executive staff, these albums are tailored for your next great playlist.

Jens Lenkman: Life Will See You Now

Sweden's Jens Lenkman is a sweet, emotional indie pop artist whose new album, Life Will See You Now, is springtime pop perfection. Enlisting acoustic flourishes and tender vocals akin to KD Lang or Morrissey, Lenkman crafts a wonderful album of Paul McCartney-esque pop for a sunny day. Find your song of the summer almost instantly. Recommended if you like: Belle & Sebastian, The Magnetic Fields, Destroyer.

Dirty Projectors: Dirty Projectors

The work of Dave Longstreth is a mix of pop, electronica, chamber music and razor-sharp indie rock. That is, it used to be. Taking a turn similar to Bon Iver on their 2016 release 22, A Million, Longstreth works mostly solo in crafting electronic warbles and swooping, mournful vocals into modern breakup songs. Coming off projects like Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo and Solange’s A Seat at the Table, Dirty Projectors may require a few listens to get to the soulful songs underneath all the buzzing. Recommended if you like Frank Ocean, Animal Collective, Dan Deacon.

Thundercat: Drunk

Borrowing from the bottom of the 80's vinyl bin, Thundercat enlists Michael McDonald, Kenny Loggins, and a slew of jazzy keyboards to create his newest album, Drunk. Regular collaborators Kendrick Lamar, Flying Lotus, and Pharrell Williams feature heavily in this retro album of jazzy funk bass and hip-hop beats. Never takes itself too seriously, either. Recommended if you like Flying Lotus, BadBadNotGood, Toro Y Moi.

Hippo Campus: Landmark

The Minneapolis-based Hippo Campus splashed into the mainstream with their modern college rock sound in 2015 with their first studio album Bashful Creatures. Their sound, informed by the clean guitars of 90’s post-rock and the synths of modern pop hits, captures the youthful, college pop of today. Landmark is for the days of driving with the windows down, laying on the grass, and avoiding responsibility. Recommended if you like The 1975, Bleachers, Walk The Moon.

Ryan Adams: Prisoner

Singer-songwriter Ryan Adams’s latest album Prisoner is coming to us behind his largest release to date, 2016’s album of folk-influenced Taylor Swift covers, 1989. And it is with that mixture of folk-pop and sentimental, youthful lyrics that Adams returns in full force on Prisoner. The acoustic ballads and heart-on-sleeve folk-rock that Adams is known for is ever present, but delivered with a light touch. For the student looking for new songs to learn on the old guitar that sits in their dorm closet. Recommended if you like The Avett Brothers, Dawes, Josh Ritter.

Contact contributor Kevin Johnson at kevin.johnson1@richmond.edu