The Collegian
Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Richmond loses in double overtime to Delaware

Despite a 23-3 win over Towson last weekend, Richmond lost to the University of Delaware on Saturday after a double overtime that resulted in a Blue Hens win.

Delaware scored first on a 5:37 drive that resulted in a 13-yard catch by Diante Cherry, leading 7-0 against UR.

On the next drive, Quarterback Kyle Lauletta was sacked and UR went three and out. 

When the Blue Hens got the ball back, quarterback J.P. Caruso was also sacked.

UR started the next drive with a handoff to running back Deontez Thompson that lost yardage. The next play resulted in a one-handed catch by wide receiver Tyler Wilkins. A pass interference call leads to an automatic first down with wide receiver Dejon Brissett catching Lauletta’s pass as he was tackled.

Lauletta’s seven-yard pass to Wilkins put the Spiders on the board for the first time in the game with 1:38 left in the quarter.

The Blue Hens scored again with a one play, 74-yard rushing touchdown by wide receiver Jamie Jardon. At the end of the quarter, Delaware was leading 14-7 against the Spiders.

Tight end Garrett Hudson capped off a strong, five play, 75-yard drive with a 20-yard pass from Lauletta finding him in the end zone for the Spiders to tie with the Blue Hens 14-14.

On the next Richmond drive, Lauletta threw an interception on the Richmond 24-yard line. The defense stopped the Blue Hens, preventing the team from scoring and allowing Lauletta little time to think about the interception.

Lauletta was picked off again and Richmond was once again on defense. The following drive did not result in any points scored.

Delaware scored one more time before the half when Caruso threw a 19-yard pass to Jardon.

Delaware was up 21 to 14 against the Spiders at the half.

Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter

The Spiders came strong out of the half with a touchdown pass from Lauletta to Wilkins. The following Delaware drive was stopped with an interception by defensive back Daniel Jones.

Cortrelle Simpson started UR with a 34 yard reception. Lauletta had a strong running game with a 10-yard rush, resulting in a touchdown.

The Spiders dominated the third quarter, scoring 14 points and taking the team's first lead of the game 28-21.

Freshman defensive back, Samari Springs, intercepted a pass in the endzone to keep the momentum going for the Spiders.

The Blue Hens responded with a five-yard rushing touchdown by Jardon, tying the game 28-28.

A Richmond drive that was supposed to result in a kick, went awry when a bad snap caused kicker Griffin Trau to jump on the ball on Richmond’s own 27-yard line.

Delaware drove down the field and attempted a field goal to end the game when defensive lineman Colby Ritten blocked it. Lauletta took a knee to force the game into overtime.

Delaware won the coin toss and opted to defend, giving the ball to Richmond first. Lauletta opened up the first overtime with a throw to Brissett in the corner of the endzone to make it 35-28. Caruso responded despite being under pressure with a throw to tight end Charles Scarff.

The score was tied 35-35 going into the second overtime.

Delaware received the ball and scored causing the Blue Hens to go up 42-35. During Richmond’s possession, there was a delay of game called on Lauletta.The catch by Brissett and rush by running back Gordon Collins wasn’t enough to win the game.

The loss to Delaware puts UR at 2-2 in the conference and 4-3 overall. The Richmond Spiders will play its homecoming game against Stony Brook at Robins Stadium at 3 p.m. next Saturday.

Contact sports editor Lindsay Emery at

Support independent student media

You can make a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below, which takes you to our secure PayPal account. The page is set up to receive contributions in whatever amount you designate. We look forward to using the money we raise to further our mission of providing honest and accurate information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the general public.

Donate Now