Richmond loses to Stony Brook, 27-24

<p><em>Richmond wide receiver Tyler Wilkins awaits the snap.&nbsp;</em></p>

Richmond wide receiver Tyler Wilkins awaits the snap. 

The Richmond Spiders lost to the Stony Brook Seawolves despite a comeback effort late in the fourth quarter. 

Despite the loss, head coach Russ Huesman said he believes that his team can still make it to playoffs.

“There’s adversity here. We’ve lost a couple of tough ones," Huesman said. "And we’ve lost probably three really tough games this year."

Richmond started the game by forcing the Seawolves to punt. While trying to gain extra yardage after the kickoff, wide receiver Dejon Brissett fumbled and Stony Brook recovered on Richmond's 13-yard line.

The Seawolves finished out their second drive with a 10-yard pass from quarterback Joe Carbone to wide receiver Ray Bolden. The drive left Richmond down 7-0 in the opening minutes of the game. 

The Spiders responded with a strong drive. A 22-yard pass to wide receiver Tyler Wilkins from quarterback Kyle Lauletta, followed by another 13-yard gain, helped the Spiders down the field. Brissett finished the drive with a touchdown to tie the game, 7-7. 

On the following Seawolves drive, Richmond drew a personal foul call to move Stony Brook up 15 yards. The defense was able to stop Carbone after an incomplete pass and unsuccessful run, but the Seawolves kicked a field goal. 

The Spiders were plagued with penalties on the next drive, forcing a punt.

The Stony Brook running back Stacey Bedell had a 23-yard rush to get the Seawolves to Richmond’s 16-yard line. On second and goal from the three-yard line, running back Donald Liotine ran through the middle to put the Seawolves up 17-7.

Wide receiver Porter Abell returned the ball 43 yards to start off the Richmond drive. Lauletta ran 10 yards to get a Spider’s first down and then threw a 26-yard pass to wide receiver Tyler Wilkins. Richmond ran out of downs while in scoring range and opted to kick a field goal, making the score 17-10 favoring the Seawolves.

On the following Spider drive, the Seawolves’ defense forced Richmond to their fourth down. A wildcat play on fourth down with punter D.J. Helkowski acting as quarterback, gave the Spiders a first down. The Spiders did not score on the drive and Stony Brook did not score on the following drive. The Seawolves had a 7 point advantage at halftime.

Although Richmond started with the ball, Stony Brook scored first. After a pass was broken up in the corner of the end-zone by defensive back Micah Keels, the Seawolves went on to kick a field goal.

During the next drive, Spider running back Xavier Goodall rushed for 34 yards, the longest run of the season, which ultimately ended with a punt.

Wide receiver Cortrelle Simpson, caught a 15-yard pass from Lauletta on the 10-yard line, putting the offense in position to score. On the third down with five yards to go, Brissett caught a pass from Lauletta in the end-zone to keep the Spiders in the game but fighting a three-point deficit.

A pass interference from defensive back Tafon Mainsah, put the Seawolves in scoring position. Stony Brook capitalized on the penalty with a touchdown from Bolden, who amassed 118 yards on 13 receptions during the game.

Richmond scrambled to fight a two-score deficit, by throwing a long pass to Brissett who caught a pass for 24 yards, followed by another pass to Simpson for a touchdown.

The touchdown by Simpson was not enough for the Spiders, who fell to the Seawolves, 27-24.

“We just have to play together as an offense and complement the defense,” Wilkins said at the postgame conference.

Next Saturday, the Spiders will be playing at Villanova at 1 p.m.

Contact sports editor Lindsay Emery at lindsayemery@richmond.edu.