Top 10 things to do at Rockbridge Young Life camp

Every fall, Young Life College provides students with the opportunity to go on a weekend retreat to Rockbridge Springs Alumni Camp in Goshen, Virginia. 

Young Life is a Christian student group on campus that meets once a week on Tuesday nights. The group focuses on bringing together students who are either looking to strengthen their relationship with Christ, or foster a relationship with Him. Rockbridge Camp is not only a retreat from classwork and the routine of campus, but it is also a great place to build friendships.

While the University of Richmond's Young Life College has already visited Rockbridge this semester, there is still an opportunity to go with Intervarsity in the spring!

So, if you ever find yourself at Rockbridge, here are ten things you should do while visiting. 

1. Dance whenever there is music playing – Young Life holds club every morning during the weekend retreat, and the fun, upbeat assortment of music they play will make you excited for the day.
  2. Go on the zipline – Prepare yourself for an adrenaline rush as you climb a mountain and then whiz back down, splash-landing into the lake with a friend.
  3. Go for a swing – The 50-foot swing at Rockbridge will not disappoint. After being harnessed and clipped onto the bar, you are pulled to the top and then catapulted through the air.
  4. Take a slide – Unlike a contemporary waterpark slide, this slide is a tarp suspended from a wooden structure, sending you spiraling into the lake at an unexpected speed.
  5. Relax in the hot tub – Any hot tub sounds like a good idea, so why not enjoy the opportunity at camp?
  6. Swim in the lake – With floating mats and a floating lifeguard stand, you'll be entertained for hours at the lake, but be aware that it may be a chilly swim. 
  7. Go for a walk – Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the camp is surrounded by scenery that will make you feel as if you have stepped into a movie. Allowing yourself a few moments to take in the beauty of everything around you is extremely humbling.
  8.  Take photos – You'll want to remember every moment of your time spent at Rockbridge, so be armed with your phone or camera at all times.
  9. Be open – At a camp surrounded by other students that are also seeking God's love and truth, you should be ready to listen to anything that God may have to say to you during the weekend. Some of the closest moments you feel near Him may be when you’re with your small group, or even just chatting by the pool.
  10. Take time to be alone – Being surrounded by nature provides you with a unique opportunity to spend time with yourself. Quiet moments reflecting on events from your week, your struggles and your victories, can be the refresh that you need to prepare for events to come.

Everyone’s experience at Rockbridge is different. Eye-opening and energizing, this camp allows you to refocus and renew yourself.   

Contact lifestyle writer Emma Phelps at emma.phelps@richmond.edu.