Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UR field hockey head coach steps down

<p>Richmond field hockey coach Gina Lucido, who won her 100th career game during the 2015 season. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Richmond field hockey coach Gina Lucido, who won her 100th career game during the 2015 season. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

Gina Lucido, the University of Richmond field hockey head coach, stepped down today to "pursue a personal change and begin a new life" with her fiancé, according to statement from the athletic department.

“I have tremendous pride and enormous gratitude to have been afforded the privilege of leading this program and working at such an esteemed university,” Lucido said in the statement. “I have dedicated 22 years to coaching and I have decided on my own to start a new chapter in life.”

Lucido led the field hockey program to the top of the Atlantic 10 conference for the past 11 years.

During her tenure, Lucido compiled a 126-103 (.550) overall record and an astounding 63-16 (.797) mark against Atlantic 10 competition. She guided the Spiders to A-10 regular season titles in 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015, and Atlantic 10 Tournament titles in 2009, 2011 and 2014.

Lucido also coached 76 student-athletes to become All-Conference and eight to become All-Americans during her 11 seasons at UR.

“Richmond has been my dream job,” Lucido said. “And I’m thankful to have added my imprint on this program’s legacy of excellence. I have strong faith in the present and future spiders to make new history here.”

“We appreciate Gina’s hard work and dedication over the past 11 years,” Interim Athletic Director David Walsh said. “Her guidance and leadership have truly made the difference in the lives of her student-athletes. She solidified Spider field hockey as one of the more successful programs in the country.”

A national search for Lucido’s successor will start immediately, according to the athletic department's statement.

Contact sports editor Lindsay Emery at lindsay.emery@richmond.edu