Men's basketball player leaves Richmond midway through season

<p>Solly Stansbury (right) left Richmond this week, midway through the season. He will return to France to play for the Play Levallois.</p>

Solly Stansbury (right) left Richmond this week, midway through the season. He will return to France to play for the Play Levallois.

Redshirt junior Solly Stansbury left the Richmond Spiders Men’s Basketball team Tuesday to return to his former team in France, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Stansbury started the first six games of the season and played 11 off the bench, averaging 3.1 points and 1.6 rebounds per game, but he did not play in Richmond’s previous two games, according to the Dispatch.

Stansbury, who attended high school in New Jersey, moved with his family to France after graduating. He played three seasons for the Paris Levallois' under-21 team before playing for the organization’s main team for the 2015-16 season, according to Richmond men's basketball’s official website.

Stansbury will return to play for the Play Levallois, for whom he averaged 8.3 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, according to Richmond basketball’s official website.

“We want to thank Solly for all of his contributions both on and off the court during his time at Richmond," Coach Chris Mooney said in the team’s press release. “We wish him the best of luck in the next phase of his basketball journey and beyond."

The Spiders will travel to North Carolina to play Davidson on Jan. 28.

Contact writer Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu.