Richmond Spiders Basketball beat VCU in the Capital City Classic tonight for the first time in three years.

“Nobody had us (winning) this game,” Richmond freshman guard Jacob Gilyard said.

The Spiders defeated the Rams 67-52 during what was also an important conference game against VCU.

Redshirt freshman Grant Golden led the team with 17 points. Sophomore Nick Sherod finished with 14 points.

None of the VCU players scored more than 12 points during the duration of the game, despite an 11-7 record going into the game versus Richmond’s 4-13.

Richmond put up a strong offense. VCU team entered the game fresh off a 106-79 loss against the Dayton Flyers Friday.

“We’ve had enough struggles on the defensive end of the court,” Rams coach Mike Rhoades told the Richmond Times Dispatch. “It just magnified today with our lack of production on offense.”

On the defensive end, the Spiders rebounded well and managed no players fouled out of the game.

Richmond never fell behind, leading before the half 34-27 and won the game with a young starting five. The freshman, redshirt freshman, and two sophomores broke a six-game losing streak with the win against VCU.

Richmond will play La Salle, another in-conference opponent, at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the Robins Center.

Contact sports editor Lindsay Emery at lindsay.emery@richmond.edu

ALSO ON THE COLLEGIAN

• |

• |

• |

• |

• |

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Collegian.