Richmond loses to Virginia in season opener

<p>In the season opener, the Richmond football team lost to the University of Virginia Cavaliers 42-13 Saturday night in Charlottesville.</p>

In the season opener, the Richmond football team lost to the University of Virginia Cavaliers 42-13 Saturday night in Charlottesville.

Editor's note: This story was updated on Sept. 2 to include quotes. 

In the season opener, the Richmond football team lost to the University of Virginia Cavaliers 42-13 Saturday night in Charlottesville. 

The Spiders had looked to continue their recent success against UVA. In September 2016, they won in an upset, defeating the Cavaliers 37-20. 

"I think our guys fought," Richmond head coach Russ Huesman said. "We made some mistakes. We made some coaching mistakes, and we probably didn’t adjust quickly enough to some of the option stuff they were doing."

Richmond scored early Saturday as Spider linebacker Dale Matthews Jr. picked off Virginia quarterback Bryce Perkins and ran 72 yards for the touchdown.

UVA responded quickly. After successfully returning a surprise Richmond onside kick, Perkins ran for a 36-yard touchdown. After a Richmond field goal, Perkins would run for another touchdown, 22 yards, on the next possession.

Virginia scored two more touchdowns and shut out the Spiders in the second quarter, entering halftime leading 28-10. 

Virginia maintained the momentum in the second half, as running back Jordan Ellis ran for a 21-yard touchdown on the opening possession.  

Richmond’s offense struggled in the second half, only scoring three points.

Despite an early interception, the Richmond defense struggled to stop Perkins in his Virginia debut. He threw for 185 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 108 yards and ran for two more touchdowns.

Richmond quarterback Kevin Johnson threw for 194 yards with two interceptions. Huesman said that overall he had been encouraged by Johnson's play.

"Never once did I think he got rattled," Huesman said. "I know he threw the two picks late, but if he doesn’t throw those, it’s probably a pretty decent game.”

Richmond receiver and senior Tyler Wilkens had four catches for 75 yards.

"We just need to execute better," Wilkens said. "Definitely need to make in-game adjustments better, player to player. We have to get better, flat and simple.”

The Spiders will play Fordham at their home opener next week at 6 p.m.

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu.