Tuesday, March 19, 2024

BREAKING: Former Richmond quarterback, New York Giant Kyle Lauletta arrested in New Jersey after traffic incident

<p>Former Spiders quarterback and current New York Giant Kyle Lauletta was arrested Thursday morning in New Jersey.&nbsp;</p>

Former Spiders quarterback and current New York Giant Kyle Lauletta was arrested Thursday morning in New Jersey. 

Police arrested former Richmond quarterback and current New York Giants rookie Kyle Lauletta Tuesday morning in Weehawken, New Jersey, after he made an illegal turn on his way to practice and nearly hit a police officer, according to NJ.com

Lauletta made a right turn from the wrong lane to get onto Route 495 West, and nearly ran over the police officer directing traffic who had directed him to go straight, according to NJ.com. Another officer at the end of the on-ramp stopped him, according to NJ.com 

Police said Lauletta had "hit the gas, ignored cops' orders to stop, almost hit the cop and another car, cut off other cars and then refused to put his window down or step out of the vehicle," according to NFL.com

"We were made aware of the situation this morning, and we have been in contact with Kyle," Giants coach Pat Shurmur said in a press statement. "We are still in the process of gathering information. This is obviously very disappointing."

The Giants drafted Lauletta in the fourth round out of UR, making him the highest-picked quarterback in UR program history. 

Many experts had anticipated Lauletta could get some playing time this season considering the age and performance of current New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, according to ESPN

The UR athletics department declined The Collegian's request for comment at this time. 

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson andrew.wilson@richmond.edu.