Monday, March 18, 2024

Spider Sports Recap: Week of Sept. 24

<p>Redshirt senior wide receiver Jarmal Bevels catches a pass Saturday against James Madison University. Bevels had one reception for 50 yards in a Spiders loss.&nbsp;</p>

Redshirt senior wide receiver Jarmal Bevels catches a pass Saturday against James Madison University. Bevels had one reception for 50 yards in a Spiders loss. 

Football

Sept. 29: Loss 63-10 vs. James Madison University

Richmond fell to 0-2 in conference play with a loss to second-ranked JMU. Redshirt senior tight end Stephon Jacob caught a 14-yard touchdown pass from redshirt junior quarterback Kevin Johnson for the Spiders’ only touchdown of the day. After the loss, Richmond’s record stands at 2-3 overall. 

Women’s Soccer

Sept. 27: Loss 0-3 at Saint Joseph’s University

Redshirt first-year goalkeeper Emily Wigg had seven saves for Richmond, but the Spiders’ offense recorded only one shot on goal in the shutout loss.

Sept. 30: Loss 1-6 vs. Saint Louis University

Senior midfielder Ashley Gross scored the team’s lone goal in the closing minutes, her first of the season. The Spiders’ record fell to 1-11 for the season.

Women’s Golf

Sept. 24-25: Tied for Eighth Place in the Boston College Intercollegiate in Canton, Massachusetts

Richmond senior Sophie DiPetrillo placed sixth overall with a score of 225. Senior Annie Collom finished tied for 26th place with a score of 232.

Cross Country

Sept. 29: Paul Short Invitational in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 

Richmond placed 13th overall in the Women’s Gold 6K, led by senior Colleen Carney, who finished in 36th place.

In the Men’s College Gold Division, Richmond finished 23rd. Junior Miles Clikeman came in 14th overall.

Men’s Golf

Sept. 24-25: Seventh Place in the River Run Collegiate in Davidson, North Carolina

Richmond senior Ben Wanichek tied for 10th overall with a score of 216, the best of his collegiate career. Sophomore Michael Baker also had a career-best performance, finishing tied for 17th with a score of 219.

Field Hockey

Sept. 28: Loss 3-4 at James Madison

The Spiders jumped out to an early lead with a goal from first-year Addie Nash and took a 2-1 lead into halftime after senior Olivia Hubert scored her second goal of the season. After two quick goals from JMU to start the second half, first-year Steffie Bongers tied the game at 3 before the Dukes scored in the closing minutes to secure the victory. Richmond’s record is 3-8 after the loss.

Men’s Tennis

Sept. 28-30: Joe Hunt Invitational in Annapolis, Maryland

First-year John Walsh led the Spiders, finishing 3-1 in singles play and 3-2 in five doubles matches with sophomore Joe Nardini.

Contact senior sports writer C.J. Slavin at cj.slavin@richmond.edu