University prepares for heavy rain from Hurricane Michael as fall break approaches

<p>A backup generator has been placed outside the Heilman Dining Center on Thursday afternoon.&nbsp;</p>

A backup generator has been placed outside the Heilman Dining Center on Thursday afternoon. 

The current path of Hurricane Michael extends up to Virginia, with Richmond expected to be hit with tropical storm-strength winds from Thursday night to Friday morning. Several states, including Alabama, Florida and Georgia, have issued states of emergency.    

According to the National Weather Service, Hurricane Michael made landfall near Mexico Beach, Florida -- a two-hour drive southwest of Tallahassee -- at 2 p.m. Wednesday. It is expected to turn northeast and return to the Atlantic near the Virginia and North Carolina border. As of 8 p.m. Wednesday, Richmond is projected to receive anywhere between 4 and 10 inches of rain Thursday into Friday.

University officials are currently monitoring the situation. 

“We have been monitoring Michael since the weekend and will continue to do so as he passes thru the Commonwealth,” Associate Vice President of Public Safety and URPD Chief David McCoy said in an email.

Cynthia Price, director of media and public relations, echoed McCoy’s comments. 

“We will continue to monitor the progress of the storm and will update the campus community if needed," Price said. "We do have a generator and sand bags.”

Lindsay Pritchard, area coordinator for the University Forest Apartments, Gateway Village, Thomas Hall, Atlantic House and Pacific House, sent out an email Thursday afternoon advising residents to keep windows closed.

"Facilities is placing sandbags around our apartment doors because of how much rain we are expected to get," Pritchard said in the email. "Have a very fun and safe fall break, you've earned it."

As of Thursday morning, the National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for the University of Richmond area until 9 p.m., McCoy said in an email sent to the university community. Students, faculty and staff are advised to be attentive of the weather but continue about their day as normal.

Sentiment around campus remains calm, with several students unaware of the upcoming storm. 

Sophomore and Virginia native Josh Robinson said the storm wouldn't impact his travel plans.

“I was unaware that there was anything going on,” Robinson said.

Sophomore Drew Griffin said he was not worried, adding that his plans to fly home to Massachusetts were not impeded by the storm.

Some students traveling south for fall break are also not worried about Hurricane Michael.  

Alex Wood, a first-year from Stuart, Florida, plans on flying home Friday. Although Wood said he understood the seriousness of this Category 4 storm, he said he did not worry about getting home. 

“I don’t think it will impact me at all since I live on the southeast coast, other than a bit of rain and wind,” Wood said.

Contact news writers Ben Wasserstein and Robert Denny at ben.wasserstein@richmond.edu and robert.denny@richmond.edu.