Spider Sports Recap: Week of Nov. 12

<p>Junior Amy Duggan during the women’s basketball win over the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, 57-55, on Nov. 14.</p>

Junior Amy Duggan during the women’s basketball win over the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, 57-55, on Nov. 14.

Football 

Nov. 17: Win 10-6 at the College of William & Mary

For the second year in a row, the football team ended its season with a victory, defeating rival William & Mary and capturing the Capital Cup. Redshirt senior wide receiver Caleb Drake caught seven passes for 45 yards and scored Richmond’s only touchdown in the low-scoring game. The Spiders end the season with a record of 4-7, 2-6 in the Colonial Athletic Association. 

Men’s Basketball

Nov. 14: Win 88-66 vs. St. Francis College

Bouncing back from a tough loss in the season opener, Richmond easily defeated the Terriers in the Robins Center early Wednesday afternoon. Richmond dominated on both ends of the floor, outscoring St. Francis by 28 points in the paint (58-30) while holding the Terriers to 39 percent shooting. Junior guard Nick Sherod scored a game-high 22 points and first-year guard Jake Wojcik was all over the court with eight points, eight rebounds, five assists and five steals. 

Nov. 16: Win 78-70 vs. Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) 

The men’s basketball team came back from a 13-point first-half deficit to beat IUPUI Friday night, improving to a 2-1 record. Sophomore guard Jacob Gilyard scored a team-high 31 points, missing only four of his 16 total shots in the game. Sherod scored 22 points, and redshirt sophomore forward Grant Golden scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. With this win, head coach Chris Mooney tied Dick Tarrant (1981-1993) for the most wins in program history at 239. 

Women’s Basketball

Nov. 14: Win 57-55 vs. University of Maryland Eastern Shore 

The women’s basketball team got its first win of the season in thrilling fashion by beating University of Maryland Eastern Shore by two points. Graduate transfer Daijia Ruffin made two clutch free throws with the game tied at 55 and under 20 seconds remaining. Ruffin also scored a team-high 17 points, and junior forward Jaide Hinds-Clarke scored 15 points. 

Nov. 18: Loss 55-69 vs. Florida Atlantic University

The Spiders lost to the Owls, 55-69, in their fourth game of the season. Ruffin led Richmond with 12 points and a career-high 13 rebounds. The team struggled shooting the ball, ending the game with a 24.3 field-goal percentage. 

Contact senior sports writer Jacob Taylor at jacob.taylor@richmond.edu.