Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Spider Sports Recap: Week of Nov. 5

Junior Maurice Jackson (right) and redshirt senior Andrew Clyde during the football team's loss to the University of Maine on Saturday, Nov. 10.

Women’s Basketball

Nov. 6: Loss 73-53 vs. Georgetown University

The women’s basketball team played its season opener on Tuesday night at the Robins Center. The Spiders fell to Georgetown 73-53. Junior forward Jaide Hinds-Clarke scored 11 points and grabbed 5 rebounds. 

Nov. 9: Loss 58-40 vs. Fairfield University

In the team’s second game, the Spiders came up short against Fairfield. Sophomore guard Alex Parson scored 15 points and had 6 rebounds.

Men’s Tennis

Nov. 9-11: Wake Forest Invitational, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

The men’s tennis team completed its fall season at the Wake Forest Invitational last weekend. First-year John Walsh went 4-0 in his singles play and won the flight. Junior Matt Fernandez finished 2-1 in singles matches.

Men’s Basketball

Nov. 9: Loss 63-58 vs. Longwood University

The men’s basketball team opened its regular season play on Friday night against the Longwood Lancers at the Robins Center, with over 6,000 fans in attendance. The Spiders shot 38 percent from the field, and sophomore guard Jacob Gilyard scored a team-high 15 points. 

Women’s Cross Country

Nov. 10: Eighth place, Southeast Regional Championships, Rock Hill, South Carolina

The women’s cross country team had a strong showing in the Southeast Regional Championships, with redshirt senior Amanda Corbosiero finishing 25th overall in the 6K race.

Men’s Cross Country

Nov. 10: 15th place, Southeast Regional Championships, Rock Hill, South Carolina

Junior Miles Clikeman led the Spiders in the men’s 10K, finishing in 23rd place.

Football

Nov. 10: Loss 28-9 vs. University of Maine

The football team lost to the Maine Black Bears on a chilly Saturday afternoon. Redshirt senior receiver Jarmal Bevels caught 7 passes for 85 yards. At halftime, the 2008 national championship team was honored as the former Richmond Spiders stepped out onto the field one more time in front of the Spider fans.

Contact sports writer Connor Roswech at connor.roswech@richmond.edu