Spider Sports Recap: Week of Oct. 29

The University of Richmond football team lost to Villanova 45-21 Saturday afternoon in its homecoming game.

Field Hockey

Nov. 2: Loss 3-1 at St. Joseph’s University, Atlantic 10 Tournament semifinal round, Merion Station, Pennsylvania

Off of a penalty corner, first-year Steffie Bongers scored the Spiders’ lone goal in the loss, assisted by fellow first-year Olivia Frazier. The team finished the season with an overall record of 7-12, 4-4 in Atlantic 10 conference play. 

Women’s Diving

Nov. 3: Tri-Meet vs. Duke University and East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina

In a meet with no team scores calculated, junior Sydney Weiskopf led Richmond with a score of 241.65 in the three-meter competition and 240.25 in the one-meter competition, placing eighth in both events. Five Richmond divers competed in the meet.

Football

Nov. 3: Loss 45-21 vs. Villanova University 

Villanova scored 24 unanswered points in the second half to defeat the Spiders, who, after narrowing the margin to 20-14 with 12:01 to play in the third quarter, could not counter a Wildcats defense that forced a total of seven turnovers. 

Starting quarterback Joe Mancuso, a redshirt sophomore who left the game with an injury, finished 6 of 15 with 105 yards passing and 71 yards rushing. Redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Colby Ritten made a career-high 12 tackles and contributed a half-sack. 

Contact sports writer Cassie Coughlan at cassie.coughlan@richmond.edu