Women's golf team finishes record-breaking fall season

<p>Senior Annie Collom was a key contributor in the Richmond Women's Golf team's fall season.</p>

Senior Annie Collom was a key contributor in the Richmond Women's Golf team's fall season.

The University of Richmond's women’s golf team finished its fall season with a 10th-place finish at the University of Louisville’s Cardinal Cup, the team’s fifth event of the fall. 

Before moving forward to the spring season, the members of the Richmond team have plenty to be proud of upon completing the fall component of their year. 

UR started strong with a second-place finish at the Kingsmill Intercollegiate, out of the competitive 12-team field. Senior Sophie DiPetrillo paced the team in the season opener, leading the way with a 217 (+1). 

The Spiders continued their success with two more top-10 performances at the Boston College Intercollegiate and the Pinehurst Intercollegiate, finishing tied for eighth and sixth place, respectively. Both of these tournaments had fields of 17 teams.

DiPetrillo again led the team at Boston College, scoring a 225 (+9). Sophomore Lizzie Reedy and senior Annie Collom led the Spiders at the Pinehurst Intercollegiate, both tying for 10th with scores of 221 (+5).

But the highlight of Richmond’s year so far, said co-captain DiPetrillo, came in the team's match against Columbia University. 

“We played at Independence Golf Club, which is where we’re hosting the conference tournament in the spring," she said. "Winning there gives us confidence heading in. We’ve had to travel for the tournament in the past, but this year it’s in Richmond, on our home golf course.”

In the recent stroke-play win against Columbia, the Spiders rewrote the record books. Collom set a new UR women’s 18-hole scoring record with a 67 (-5), and the team also set the lowest 18-hole score school record, collectively scoring a 287 (-1).

Throughout the season, DiPetrillo also became Richmond’s new career scoring average all-time leader.

DiPetrillo said the record would be broken again shortly by one of her talented teammates. She praised the performance of the younger players this year, citing their aggressive play and well-rounded talent as keys to the Spiders’ success.

As her first-year teammates continue to adjust to the pace of college competition and gain experience, DiPetrillo said she believed they held immense potential to lead the program for years to come.

Spiders women’s golf coach Ali Wright, in her fifth year with the team, said the team’s mental toughness and resiliency led to its solid play. Several leaders, including DiPetrillo, have battled injuries and persevered to continually contribute, Wright said.

Richmond has several months to train for the spring semester as the Spiders prepare to compete for their fourth consecutive conference title.

“My expectations are high for the team in the spring," Wright said. "We have an opportunity to really compete in every tournament. To have four players that are returning conference champions, I definitely feel like our expectations are high.”

Contact senior sports writer C.J. Slavin at cj.slavin@richmond.edu