UPDATE: Tuesday morning exams pushed back an hour, university will delay opening

<p>On Sunday evening, nine-to-11 inches of snow fell across the Richmond area, forcing the university to cancel events on Sunday and close campus on Monday.</p>

On Sunday evening, nine-to-11 inches of snow fell across the Richmond area, forcing the university to cancel events on Sunday and close campus on Monday.

This story was updated on Monday, Dec. 10 at 5 p.m.

The University of Richmond has delayed opening until 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 11, because of inclement weather, according to an email sent from University Communications. 

Final exams scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday are delayed an hour to begin at 10 a.m. and finish at 1 p.m., according to the email. Classes and events scheduled before 10 a.m. were canceled. 

Original story:

All campus events, with the exception of final exams, have been canceled Monday, Dec. 9, because of inclement weather, according to an email from University Communications. 

Any final exams scheduled before 2 p.m. Monday are moved to Wednesday, Dec. 12, according to the email. Any final exams scheduled at or after 2 p.m. are to be held at their scheduled time. Faculty members who cannot safely make it to campus for afternoon and evening exams can reschedule their exams for Wednesday, according to the email.

An email sent from parking services earlier on Sunday announced that shuttle services would be canceled until further notice. There was no indication in the email when shuttle services were expected to resume. As of Sunday night, a second email sent from parking services announced that the Willow Lawn Xpress, the Evening Circuit and the Campus Loop would resume service on an altered schedule on Monday.

On Sunday, the annual Lessons and Carols candlelight services hosted by the Office of the Chaplaincy was canceled, according to another email sent by University Communications. Midnight Munchies, an annual event hosted by the Heilman Dining Center to kickstart finals week, was also canceled, according to signage posted at the dining hall and the dining website

Snow forecasts for the area anticipated five to 10 inches, but have been recorded to be anywhere from nine to 11 inches as of 6 p.m. Sunday, according to measurement reports from across the Richmond area. 

Forecasts continue to anticipate snowfall and freezing rain overnight Sunday.

Contact news editor Julia Raimondi at julia.raimondi@richmond.edu.