Spider Sports Recap: Week of Feb. 10

<p>Sophomore forward Nathan Cayo runs past the VCU defense at the Siegel Center on Wednesday, Feb. 13.</p>

Sophomore forward Nathan Cayo runs past the VCU defense at the Siegel Center on Wednesday, Feb. 13.

Men’s Golf 

Feb. 11: Mobile Sports Authority Intercollegiate, Mobile, Alabama, tied for 7th/15 

Junior Zack Justice and first-year Michael Childress finished tied for 13th out of a field of 80. The second half of the event was canceled due to rain. 

Men’s Basketball

Feb 13: Loss 60-81 at Virginia Commonwealth University 

Click here for the full story. 

Women’s Basketball

Feb. 13: Win 57-49 vs. St. Bonaventure University

Click here for the full story. 

Feb. 17: Loss 48-78 at Saint Louis University

The team shot only 32 percent from the floor in a disappointing loss. Junior Jaide Hinds-Clarke scored 10 points and had 10 rebounds for her ninth double-double of the season.

Women’s Track and Field 

Feb. 15-16: JDL DMR Invitational, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 

Senior Ave Grosenheider finished with a time of 4:54.39 in the mile and qualified for the Eastern College Athletic Conference championships. 

Women’s Tennis 

Feb. 15: Loss 4-3 at University of Delaware 

Junior Kiana Marshall, sophomore Emily Dunbar and first-year Helene Heiberg each picked up singles victories. 

Feb. 16: Win 6-1 at Towson University

The team won all but one singles match in an impressive win. 

Baseball

Feb. 15: Win 13-6 at Georgia State University

Redshirt junior center fielder Anthony Forte went 3-5 with a home run and four RBIs. Graduate student Tyler Plantier went 3-6 with a home run and three RBIs. 

Feb. 16: Win 7-1 at Georgia Tech

The Spiders dominated the 17th-ranked team in the country. Their pitching staff of junior starter Lowell Schipper, senior Jacob Lamb and sophomore Kent Morrison did not allow a single earned run. 

Feb. 16: Win 9-8 at Kennesaw State University

A five-run fourth inning helped secure the team’s third straight win of the weekend. 

Women’s Lacrosse 

Feb. 16: Win 15-8 vs. Campbell University

Senior Mia Castagnero led the team with four goals in the rout of Campbell. Redshirt sophomore Sam Geiersbach scored three goals in her first game returning after tearing her ACL. 

Men’s Lacrosse 

Feb. 16: Win 13-11 at Bucknell University

The Spiders came back with six goals in the fourth quarter to defeat Bucknell. Senior Teddy Hatfield and sophomore Ryan Lanchbury each had four goals. 

Men’s Tennis

Feb. 16: Win 4-3 at Xavier University

Despite losing the doubles point, the Spiders won with singles wins from junior Matt Fernandez and first-year Josh Keitelman. 

Feb. 17: Win 4-3 at University of Dayton 

The Spiders defeated their A-10 conference rival. Junior George Lovitt won the deciding singles match in straight sets.  

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu