Spider Sports Recap: Week of Feb. 3

<p>Sophomore guard Jacob Gilyard shoots a layup in a Spider victory over George Washington Saturday night.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore guard Jacob Gilyard shoots a layup in a Spider victory over George Washington Saturday night. 

Men’s Basketball

Feb. 6: Win 81-67 vs. George Mason University

Sophomore Jacob Gilyard led the team with 28 points and was 5-7 from the three-point line in a strong win over an Atlantic 10 rival.

Feb. 9: Win 89-63 vs. George Washington University

Click here for the full story. 

Women’s Basketball

Feb. 6: Loss 50-71 at University of Dayton

With 20 points and 10 rebounds, junior Jaide Hinds-Clarke had her seventh double-double of the season. The team, however, shot only 2-20 from three and had 19 turnovers in the road loss.

Feb. 9: Loss 37-58 at Virginia Commonwealth University

Hinds-Clarke had another double-double with 19 rebounds and 10 points, but the team failed to defeat its division rival, which now leads in the A-10 standings. 

Women’s Track

Feb. 8-9: Winter Relay Invitational, Lexington, Va. 

Junior Claire Brown finished third in the 1000-meter race. First-year Kendra Smither finished fourth in the 800-meter race. 

Feb. 8-9: David Hemery Invitational, Boston, Ma. 

A team of junior Maria Acosta, sophomore Brooke Fazio and first-year Rachel Helbling and Tamar Accius set a school record in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3 minutes, 43.38 seconds. 

Men’s Tennis

Feb. 8: Loss 3-4 at East Carolina University 

Senior Brice Polender and junior George Lovitt picked up singles victories in the Spider loss. 

Feb. 9: Win 5-2 vs. Appalachian State University 

The team won four out of six singles matches and two out of three doubles matches to improve its season record to 4-2.

Men’s Lacrosse 

Feb. 9: Loss 9-10 at University of Maryland 

Sophomore Ryan Lanchbury scored five goals, including four in the fourth quarter, in an unsuccessful UR comeback. The team lost to Maryland, the third-ranked team in the country. 

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu