Women’s basketball coach Michael Shafer will not return to the team for next season, according to ABC 8 News

“We would like to thank Michael Shafer for his hard work and dedication to our university and the Spider women’s basketball program during the past 14 years,” athletic director John Hardt said in a statement. “We appreciate everything he and his family had done for our program, and we wish him the best in all of his future endeavors.”

Shafer, the second-longest tenured coach in program history, holds the school record with 223 wins. 

This year, however, the team finished with a record of 9-21, its fourth consecutive losing season. It lost to sixth-ranked St. Louis University in the first round of the Atlantic 10 tournament on March 5. 

"It has been an honor to lead the Richmond women's basketball program the past 14 years," Shafer said in a statement. "I am grateful for my time at the University of Richmond and the countless student-athletes, staff and fans I have worked with and interacted with during my time.

“Richmond is a special place and it has been a great honor to lead our women's basketball student-athletes, on and off the court."

Richmond has not yet announced any plans for the next coach but will undergo a nationwide search, according its press release

Contact sports editor Andrew Wilson at andrew.wilson@richmond.edu