Spider Sports Recap: Week of March 4

<p>Men's basketball <a href="https://www.thecollegianur.com/article/2019/03/vcu-defeats-mens-basketball-again-in-home-rematch-69-66" target="_blank">lost to rival VCU</a> earlier this month at the Robins Center.&nbsp;</p>

Men's basketball lost to rival VCU earlier this month at the Robins Center. 

Women’s Tennis

March 5: Matches against St. John’s University canceled

March 8: Win 6-1 vs. Saint Joseph’s University 

Kiana Marshall, Dessi Zlateva, Lea Owens, Ana Ramirez and Lyndell Giffenig all won their singles matches.

Men’s Lacrosse

March 5: Loss 11-12 vs. Mount St. Mary’s University

Junior Tyler Shoults scored a career-high four goals, but the No. 14 Spiders fell in overtime.

Women’s Lacrosse

March 6: Win 12-9 at College of William & Mary

Senior Marissa Brown scored five points to lead the Spiders past William & Mary. Brown is now fifth all-time in career points scored by a Spider. 

March 10: Win 20-5 vs. Old Dominion University 

Brown set the program’s record for career assists in a blowout win against Old Dominion. Redshirt sophomore Sam Geiersbach and senior Mia Castagnero each scored their 100th career point.

Men’s Basketball

March 6: Loss 79-87 at University of Massachusetts 

Grant Golden and Jacob Gilyard combined for 41 points in the Spiders’ loss. Golden and T.J. Cline (2016-17) are the only Spiders to record 500 points, 200 rebounds and 100 assists in a season.

March 9: Loss 69-73 vs. Davidson College

Richmond suffered a close loss in its regular-season finale after a late comeback from Davidson. Golden finished with 20 points, and Gilyard added 17.

Women’s Basketball

March 5: Loss 49-58 at St. Louis University

A fourth-quarter comeback attempt wasn’t enough to lead the Spiders to victory against St. Louis in the first round of the Atlantic 10 tournament. First-year Claire Holt led the team with 13 points, and junior Jaide Hinds-Clarke scored nine.

Men’s Tennis

March 10: Win 6-1 at The Citadel

The Spiders won all three doubles matches. Matt Fernandez, Klein Evans, George Lovitt, John Walsh and Campbell Erwin all won their singles matches.

Baseball

The team’s three-game series at Davidson was canceled.

Contact sports writer Riley Blake at riley.blake@richmond.edu.