Wide receiver Dejon Brissett transferring to University of Illinois

<p>Wide receiver Dejon Brissett.&nbsp;</p>

Wide receiver Dejon Brissett. 

Wide receiver Dejon Brissett announced he would transfer to the University of Illinois to continue his studies and college football career. 

Brisset will be joining the University of Illinois as a graduate transfer, according to The Daily Illini, the university's student-run news source. A graduate transfer is a student-athlete who earns a bachelor’s degree before the end of their athletics and goes on to compete as a graduate student for another school, according to the NCAA website.

“It was a really long process and a difficult decision for me,” Brissett said. “I took five visits before deciding the University of Illinois was the best opportunity for me moving forward.”

Brissett recorded 16 catches for 299 yards and one touchdown last season. He played in the team’s first three games of that season before suffering a season-ending injury.

“I love it here, and my decision has nothing to do with Richmond,” Brissett said. “The chance to compete at a higher level was what I was chasing, and this allows me to do that.”

In 2017, Brissett was named First Team All-Colonial Athletic Association after leading the Spiders with 63 receptions. He also had 896 receiving yards and seven touchdowns.

Brissett will finish his career at Richmond with 1,282 receiving yards on 86 receptions and nine receiving touchdowns. He also returned one kickoff and one punt for touchdowns.

Contact sports writer C.J. Slavin at cj.slavin@richmond.edu.