Ask Eric: Student horror stories and craft beer

<p>Eric Bossert is the writer behind "Ask Eric," The Collegian's advice column.&nbsp;</p>

Eric Bossert is the writer behind "Ask Eric," The Collegian's advice column. 

Editor's Note: Ask Eric is an advice column published every Tuesday. Anonymous questions are taken from this Google form. Questions are also taken from both The Collegian's Instagram, @thecollegianur, and via email, collegianaskeric@gmail.com. 

Hello all,

I am back fresh from a horrible migraine headache and ready to answer some questions. I do not have anything for the little blurb this week, so I am just going to talk a bit about my writing process. I tend to look at the questions I get each week and pick a couple interesting ones. I then sit down and answer the questions I picked all at once and edit after. The biggest complaint I have is the fact that expressing sarcasm in writing is not exactly easy, so if any of you have a way to do that let me know. With that, let us get to the questions.

You up?

Yes, considering I am typing this right now, I can say that I am awake. Whether or not I am mentally at the top of my game is another matter however, but I do not believe that was the point of this question.

Do you have any professor horror stories?

That depends on what you mean by professor horror stories. Throughout my college career, I have been in many situations involving professors that I did not enjoy having, mostly due to my putting off my work in one way or another, but I have liked all of my professors here at the University of Richmond. 

However, I can regale you with some of the ones that still haunt my nightmares. For example, I once sent in a paper for a presentation I had to do in a class. I sent the email to my professor early in the morning after pulling an all-nighter. Later in the day, I received an email from this professor asking why I had not yet submitted my paper. My heart immediately hit the floor as I assumed that in my tired state I forgot to hit send. “So there goes my grade,” I’m thinking. It turns out my paper had gone to that professor’s spam folder, so I was saved. As far as things that I still have nightmares about, that interaction is one I will never forget.

Best RVA happy hour?

I will start this answer by reminding my readers that I am 22 years old, so I am allowed to go to happy hours. This response is aimed at my readers who can LEGALLY participate in happy hour. 

That being said, I am quite fond of The Answer Brewpub. I went there for the first time a little while ago, and it is fantastic. It has 52 guest beers as well as several in-house brews. It is also cheap pretty much all the time, and flights are only $12. Also, the Capital Ale House in downtown Richmond is excellent. It is a couple dollars off most drinks during happy hour and has two bars. The upstairs bar is usually packed, and there is live music pretty often. The downstairs bar has pool and darts and a jukebox. I have heard a lot of good things about the Tobacco Company, but I have never been there.

That is all for me this week. If you all keep sending in questions, I will keep answering them. As always, take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, if I did not name your favorite bar or craft brewery today, I apologize. If you would like to prove to me how amazing it is by taking me to happy hour I can probably be convinced. Have a great break, everyone.

Sincerely,

Eric Bossert

Contact columnist Eric Bossert at eric.bossert@richmond.edu.