Spiders' defensive line powers through for a 23-20 win over Albany

<p>Wide receiver graduate student Charlie Fessler avoids Albany's defense during the game on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019.&nbsp;</p>

Wide receiver graduate student Charlie Fessler avoids Albany's defense during the game on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019. 

The University of Richmond football team won 23-20 against the University at Albany Great Danes on Saturday afternoon at the Family Weekend football game.

A very strong defensive effort led the Spiders to a victory, improving their record to 1-1 in Colonial Athletic Association play. It also increases their all-time record against the Great Danes to 7-0. 

The last few games played between the Spiders and the Great Danes have been decided by three points, and this game was no exception.

Albany scored the game's first touchdown, but a 61-yard touchdown reception by graduate transfer Keyston Fuller gave the Spiders a 10-7 lead. 

Shortly thereafter, Albany scored another touchdown to regain the lead 13-10. 

Back-to-back field goals from first-year Jake Larson gave the Spiders a 16-13 lead. The first was from 48 yards and the second was 26 yards.

Throughout their season, the Great Danes had only allowed six sacks in their first five games. However, the Spiders recorded a season-high of seven sacks during the game.

Senior defensive end Maurice Jackson recorded a career-high three sacks and four tackles for loss. He also finished with six total tackles, had an interception that led a touchdown and forced a fumble. 

In addition to his strong defensive work throughout the game, Jackson also praised the positivity that the Spiders maintained. 

“I feel like it was a lot of us feeding off of each other,” he said. “A lot of us had a great energy going into it. We needed a pump-up and when we played, it showed.”

The game also broke records regarding field goals; Larson first put the Spiders on the board with a 50-yard field goal. 

Not only was it the seventh longest field goal in UR's football history, but an impressive career-best for Larson. It also was the first field goal of 50-yards or more since 2016, when Ricky Segers had a 51-yarder against William & Mary.

Larson is just one of nine kickers in the country -- and the only one in the CAA -- that has connected on all of their field-goal attempts this season, going 6-on-6 so far this year. 

Coach Russ Huesman believed Larson is doing a great job for the team, he said. 

“He’s got a strong leg, he hits them dead center,” Huesman said. “Jake is a tremendous player.”

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Beau English predicted that the win was going to help the team in the rest of its season.

“I think it’s going to build a lot of momentum going forward for this team, it’s the push we needed,” English said. “We just needed a spark and hopefully we can continue this over the next couple of weeks and can keep the ball rolling.”

Contact lifestyle writer Kaitlin Edwardson at kaitlin.edwardson@richmond.edu