Spider Sports Recap: Week of Nov. 10

Senior forward Jaide Hinds-Clarke runs the ball down the court in the home opener against Florida Atlantic University on Saturday, November 16, 2019.

Women’s Basketball

Nov. 12: Win 51-49 at Georgetown University

UR’s win against the Hoyas marked the Spiders' first win at Georgetown since 2003. Junior Alex Parson finished a defensive-led game with two made free throws to make the score 51-49. Redshirt junior Kaila Clark was a leader on defense with five rebounds and four blocks. Leading scorers for the Spiders included senior Jaide Hinds-Clarke with 17 points and sophomore Kate Klimkiewicz with 12 points. Parson had a season-high seven assists. 

Nov. 16: Win 57-55 vs. Florida Atlantic University

Sophomore Emma Squires made the game-winning layup with just seven seconds left to lead UR over Florida Atlantic in the Spiders' home opener. The Spiders had 15 offensive rebounds and outrebounded Florida Atlantic 46-43 overall. Hinds-Clarke led the team with 14 points, four rebounds and two steals. UR led 36-19 at halftime but Florida Atlantic came back to cut the lead to three points with five minutes remaining. After a game-tying 3-pointer from Florida Atlantic late in the last quarter, Squires drove to the basket after an inbound pass to make the game-winning layup. This win improved the Spiders' record to 3-1, the team's best start since the 2015-16 season. 

Men’s Basketball

Nov. 14: Win 93-92 vs. Vanderbilt University

After a seven-point deficit to start the game, the Spiders battled back and forth with SEC opponent Vanderbilt for an overtime win. Leading scorers included junior Jacob Gilyard with 26 points and a game-high seven steals, redshirt junior Blake Francis with 24 points and junior Nathan Cayo with 20 points. With four seconds remaining in overtime and the score tied at 92, Gilyard started a fast break and passed the ball to sophomore Andre Gustavson, who was fouled during a dunk attempt. Gustavson sealed the win with a made free throw with just .6 seconds left in the game. 

Nov. 17: Win 90-62 vs. California State University, Northridge

The Spiders dominated on both ends of the court against CSUN, scoring 16 unanswered points to start the game. Later in the first half, the Spiders went on a 22-0 run, ultimately ending the half with a 55-18 lead. Redshirt junior Nick Sherod led the team with 25 points, making seven of his nine 3-point attempts. The Spiders' record improved to 3-0 for the first time since 2012. UR will play again at home against McNeese State University on Nov. 22.

Women’s Cross Country

Nov. 15: NCAA Southeast Regional Championships, Earlysville, Virginia

The women's cross country team competed at Panorama Farms near Charlottesville in the NCAA Southeast Regional meet against 33 teams. A few athletes boasted personal records, including sophomore Johanna Lupica, who finished in 74th place in the 6K race at 21 minutes, 50.1 seconds. First-years Lily Snow (22:24.9) and Anna George (22:30.2), as well as junior Caroline Robelen (22:49.7), also set personal bests. Overall, the women’s team finished 18th. 

Men’s Cross Country

The men's cross country team also competed at the NCAA Southeast Regionals, finishing 22nd out of 35 teams. In the 10K race, senior Miles Clikeman led the team, finishing 57th with a time of 31:23.5. Sophomore Peter Borger finished with a personal-best time of 32:11.3, giving him the 100th-place spot. Sophomore Noah Campbell also ran a personal best of 33:11.0.

Football

Nov. 16: Loss 6-48 at James Madison University

The football team lost in its last away game of the season against James Madison on Saturday. Redshirt junior quarterback Joe Mancuso led the offense with 264 total yards. He completed 18 of 30 pass attempts for 204 yards, and he carried the ball 18 times for 60 net rushing yards. Graduate wide receiver Charlie Fessler caught six passes for 92 yards. On the defensive side, redshirt sophomore Kobie Turner led the team with a career-high 12 tackles, and recorded 1.5 sacks and a quarterback hurry. The team will finish the regular season this weekend against rival College of William & Mary at E. Claiborne Robins Stadium.

Contact sports writer Grace Mittl at grace.mittl@richmond.edu