Delta Epsilon Mu suspended, under investigation for hazing allegations

<p>Gottwald&nbsp;Center for the Sciences.&nbsp;</p>

Gottwald Center for the Sciences. 

The University of Richmond’s chapter of the pre-health fraternity Delta Epsilon Mu -- the Alpha Beta chapter -- has stopped operations due to several reports of events contrary to UR’s conduct and hazing policies.

Alison Keller, director for the Center for Student Involvement, received an email on Nov. 22, 2019, “outlining events and activities that are incongruent with the University of Richmond Standards of Student Conduct and Hazing Policies,” Keller wrote in an email statement. 

“In addition, several verbal reports were shared of similar events and activities,” she wrote.

A letter to cease all operations was then sent to the chapter leaders and National Delta Epsilon Mu Fraternity officers on Wednesday, Jan. 15, Keller wrote. 

“Upon receipt of the email and review of the verbal reports,” Keller’s email said, “a letter to cease all operations was sent to the chapter President, chapter advisor and National Delta Epsilon Mu Fraternity officers on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.

“The actions to Cease Operations is a standard practice by the University of Richmond to be able to appropriately investigate all allegations and materials, and determine proper judicial processes.  

“All investigations are confidential, but upon determining outcomes, further information will be shared.” 

UR’s DEM chapter president, who requested not to be named, declined to comment for this article at the time of publication.

John Vaughan, director of pre-health education and chapter faculty adviser, could not be reached at the time of publication.

Contact managing editor Arrman Kyaw at arrman.kyaw@richmond.edu.