Exchange student charged with multiple child pornography-related offenses

<p>The Special Programs Building houses transportation services,&nbsp;the student health center, university police department and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies.&nbsp;</p>

The Special Programs Building houses transportation services, the student health center, university police department and the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. 

Richmond City police charged an exchange student studying at the University of Richmond with multiple child pornography-related felony offenses on Feb. 20.

Naran Francis Darjaa, an exchange student from Lancaster University, was charged with one count of reproduction of child pornography and three counts of possession of child pornography, according to court records.

A person “who knowingly possesses child pornography” is guilty of a Class 6 felony, according to Virginia code. Those who commit a second or subsequent violation of the offense are guilty of a Class 5 felony.

A person who knowingly “reproduces by any means, including by computer, sells, gives away, distributes, electronically transmits, displays, purchases, or possesses with intent to sell, give away, distribute, transmit, or display child pornography” will be punished by “not less than five years nor more than 20 years in a state correctional facility,” according to Virginia code. 

Darjaa was attending classes at UR, said Cynthia Price, associate vice president of media and public relations.

The possession offenses took place on Feb. 20, and the distribution offense occurred back in December 2019 -- all occurred in Robins Hall, according to the University Police Department crime log. The incidents were reported at 1 p.m. on Feb. 20.

Richmond Police Department -- which operates in the city of Richmond -- made the arrest on Feb. 20, said Beth Simonds, URPD assistant chief of police.

Simonds declined to comment further for this article, saying that URPD will not comment on the case of another agency.

Darjaa was booked at 2:52 p.m. on Feb. 20, according to Richmond sheriff’s office inmate records. As of Feb. 27, Darjaa’s records in the database are no longer present. 

According to court records, Darjaa is still in custody.

Price confirmed that Darjaa had been charged.

Victoria Tyrrell, head of communications at Lancaster University, wrote in an email that the school could not comment on individuals.

Simonds confirmed that Richmond Police Detective Mary Gary-Ford was on the case. Gary-Ford is listed as plaintiff on Darjaa’s case, according to court records.

Gary-Ford could not be reached for comment.

The arrest was not an FBI operation, said Linsey Stem, special agent in the FBI Richmond field office.

Darjaa’s next court date is set for the end of March at the Richmond-John Marshall Criminal-Traffic General District Court.

Contact managing editor Arrman Kyaw at arrman.kyaw@richmond.edu.