Lifestyle Calendar: October virtual events in RVA

We’re back with another lifestyle calendar for October, which shares a few local virtual events and activities being offered. See the descriptions and links below for more information about each date's activity. 

Thursday Oct 1 Graphic

"Why Richmond is Awesome" Virtual Trivia Night 

TONIGHT “Why Richmond is Awesome” presents two virtual trivia games on YouTube Live at 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. Answer questions on music, geography, tv, food and pop culture for a chance to win a gift card to a local RVA business, restaurant or brewery of your choice! 

Friday, Oct 9 Graphic

Mise En Place Virtual Culinary Classes 

Living in an apartment on or off-campus this semester? Needing to refresh your cooking skills? Mise En Place, located in Shockoe Bottom, has adapted their cooking classes to offer virtual culinary opportunities. Join them on Friday, October 9 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. as they cover sheet pan dinners. Registration for the class is $25 and they email you a Zoom link, grocery list and directions prior to the class start. 

Friday, Oct 16 Graphic

Artoberva ft. Jordan Shanks' "Love Letters to America" Virtual Exhibit 

Artoberva is an annual celebration of culture, history and art in Richmond, VA hosted by CultureWorks. Stream in for the showing of Richmond native photographer Jordan Shanks' exhibit “Love Letters to America,” which documents the ongoing struggle for racial justice and his generation’s response. 

Thursday, Oct 22 Graphic

VMFA "Dive into Sunken Cities: Treasures of Ancient Egypt" Virtual Viewing

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts’ exhibit “Sunken Cities: Treasures of Ancient Egypt” has been on display since July, but they are now offering virtual viewings too. Courtney Morano, the museum’s Manager of Interpretation, will guide participants virtually through the exhibit and explain the visionary method behind the exhibit’s art displays. Registration is available online through their website. Be sure to tune in at 4:30 p.m. for the unique museum viewing experience! 

Halloween Graphic

Trick or Treat Halloween Virtual 5k Race

Missing the group runs around RVA to train for the Richmond Half-Marathon? Join hundreds of other Richmonders and runners across the country for the Trick or Treat Halloween Virtual 5k Race. They even offer a free virtual run option, if you’re not interested in any of the runner packs, or cannot afford them at this time.

October Lifestyle Calendar - Every Thursday Graphic

Virginia Wine Facebook Live #vawinechats 

For students 21 years and older, October is Virginia Wine Month! Attend live tastings and classes on the Virginia Wine Facebook every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. for information and tips from different local winery experts. 

As the weather gets cooler and leaf-peeping season begins, let's not forget to enjoy the opportunities offered to us this month! Although students are unable to explore the surrounding community right now, these events may offer similar virtual experiences, and still allow for the opportunity to expand and connect with the greater Richmond area.

Contact lifestyle editor Emma Phelps at emma.phelps@richmond.edu.