Panhellenic sorority recruitment will occur this weekend, with modifications

<p>The sorority cottages located on the Westhampton side of campus</p>

The sorority cottages located on the Westhampton side of campus

Panhellenic sorority recruitment will take place this semester virtually with new recruitment measures in place, according to Lisa McCoy, Richmond Panhellenic adviser. 

Recruitment will occur on Feb. 27 and 28 and Mar. 6 and 7, McCoy wrote in an email to The Collegian. 

Abolish Greek life movements at the University of Richmond, as well as numerous other schools around the country, began after the Black Lives Matter movement gained attention this past June. Numerous UR students disaffiliated from their chapter after evaluating their chapters' presence on campus. 

McCoy wrote in an email that “true and system reform requires deliberate and intentional time to develop short-term and long-term process and initiatives” in response to types of reform that are occurring in the Panhellenic community. 

Recruitment is continuing this year because of continued student interest in sororities and fraternities, McCoy wrote. The number of Potential New Members that have registered for this year’s sorority recruitment was similar in numbers to years past, she also wrote. 

There are a few changes to the recruitment process to address unconscious bias, McCoy wrote. Recruitment fees have been eliminated in order to create a more equitable experience for students throughout the process, as the financial strain has been cited as a barrier to joining Greek life

McCoy wrote that “these initiatives will inspire the Panhellenic community to engage in meaningful conversations that lead to more inclusive and equitable policies and practices.” 

Recruitment will also be fully virtual since sororities are student organizations and must follow the same COVID-19 guidelines as other organizations, McCoy wrote.

Despite changes that McCoy wrote about for sorority recruitment, there is still backlash as to why the process is even happening in the first place. Abolish Richmond Greek Life, an Instagram account that shares experiences and feelings surrounding UR Greek life based on submissions, shared a post on Feb. 4 about people’s feelings surrounding continued recruitment. 

Some of the responses include “absurd and should not be happening”, “[The recruitment changes] seems like a response to Covid, not a response to these [social, racial, and economic issues] concerns”, and “I am disappointed and angry.” 

The Panhellenic Executive Board has not been elected since the previous board stepped down over the summer, but McCoy wrote that the goal is to open applications for leadership positions this semester. No timeline has been set for that yet. 

Contact news writer Westen Doran at westen.doran@richmond.edu.