Spiders perform well at Spring Creek and River Landing

<p>The Country Club of Virginia</p>

The Country Club of Virginia

The Richmond Women’s golf team recently has had two matches, both of which were strong performances.

On Mar. 5th, the Spiders faced off against two of the top teams in the country, the University of Virginia, ranked 10th and Old Dominion University, at Spring Creek Golf Club. Despite losing to Virginia and Old Dominion, the Spiders as a team shot 21 over par (+21), which tied their best score since Feb. 2020.  Juniors Emily Ward and Naomi Mitchell and freshman Claire Yioulos all shot a team-best 76 (+4). Freshman Rory Weinfurther also played well, carding three birdies.

Through Mar. 8th-9th, the Spiders competed against 13 other teams at the UNCW River Landing Classic at River Landing Golf Club. UR finished eighth, shooting a total team score of 881 (+17) over the two days. However, in the final round, the Spiders shot a score of 289 (+1), which was the second-lowest score in UR history. Freshman Rory Weinfurther and junior Emily Ward lead the Spiders, both shooting an impressive 69 (-3). Shooting a 70 (-2), junior Naomi Mitchell was able to score her best round ever at UR. Sophmore Muskan Uppal was another score contributor, finishing the round with a 74 (+2).

The Spider’s next match-up is Mar. 21 against William & Mary at Independence Golf Club.