BREAKING: Felony charges dropped against UR sophomore

Confidential sexual assault resources for UR students include CARE Advocates, which can be reached at advocate@richmond.edu or 804.801.6251; Peer Sexual Misconduct Advisors (PSMA), at psma@richmond.edu or 804.346.7674; CAPS, at CAPS@richmond.edu or 804.289.8119; Virginia LGBTQ Partner Abuse and Sexual Assault Helpline (24/7), at 866.356.6998; Greater Richmond Regional Hotline (24/7), at 804.612.6126; National Sexual Assault Hotline (24/7) at 800.656.HOPE.

This article has been updated to provide additional information about the ongoing Title IX investigation of this case.

The Commonwealth of Virginia dropped three felony charges of rape by force or threat, strangulation resulting in wound or injury and malicious wounding on Jan. 7 that were brought against University of Richmond sophomore Kyle Kressler on Oct. 25, according to district court records.

Before the charges were dismissed, the preliminary hearing was set to take place on Feb. 1. Commonwealth attorney Alison Martin declined The Collegian’s request for comment. 

Theodore Bruns, Kressler’s defense attorney, confirmed that the charges had been dropped, but declined to speak about details of the case because of UR’s ongoing Title IX investigation. 

Kressler declined The Collegian’s request for comment at the advisement of his defense attorney, Bruns said. The complaining witness also declined to comment at the advisement of her attorney and requested not to be named.

Kressler is not currently on UR’s campus, wrote Cynthia Price, associate vice president of media and relations, in an email to The Collegian on Jan. 11. Price would not speak to Kressler’s status as a student at UR. 

UR Police Captain Eric Beatty and Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students Tracy Cassalia redirected The Collegian’s questions to Price. The Commonwealth's decision will not impact the Title IX investigation, Price wrote in a Jan. 12 email to The Collegian. 

This is a developing story.

Contact city & state editor Meredith Moran at meredith.moran@richmond.edu.