Spider Sports Recap | Week of Jan. 17

<p>Sophomore guard Grace Townsend dribbles the ball at the women's basketball game against La Salle University on Jan. 23. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.</p>

Sophomore guard Grace Townsend dribbles the ball at the women's basketball game against La Salle University on Jan. 23. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

Editor's note Kayla O'Connell is in the women's track and field team. 

Men’s basketball

Jan. 18: Win 83-70 vs. Fordham 

The men’s basketball team beat Fordham University 83-70 to improve its record to 11-7 this season and 2-3 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Graduate guard Jacob Gilyard led the way for the Spiders with a game-high of 31 points. Graduate forward Nathan Cayo scored 13 points,  graduate forward Grant Golden and senior guard Andre Gustavson both scored 11. Golden became the fourth player in UR history — and the fourth active player in the NCAA Division I — to register 2,000 career points. 

Jan. 22: Win 64-56 vs. La Salle 

The men’s basketball team beat La Salle University 64-56 which brought their record to 12-7 this season and 3-3 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Golden and Cayo scored 18 points and combined to shoot 16-26 from the field. Golden also had five rebounds and a pair of steals. Gustavson finished with eight points, five rebounds and five steals, matching his career-high. Richmond head coach Chris Mooney reached 300 wins at Richmond, becoming the 22nd active DI coach with 300 wins at his current school. 

Women’s basketball

Jan. 19: Win 78-64 vs. George Mason 

The women’s basketball team beat George Mason University 78-64, improving their record to12-6 this season and 3-2 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Sophomore guard Grace Townsend led the Spiders with a career-high eight rebounds, 11 points, and seven assists. Sophomore forward Addie Budnik scored 21 points as well as six rebounds and three assists. Senior guard Kate Klimkiewicz and senior forward Emma Squires finished with 11 points. Klimkiewicz also had six boards, a steal, an assist and a block. 

Jan. 23: Loss 57-77 vs. La Salle 

The women’s basketball team lost to La Salle 57-77. Klimkiewicz scored 15 points, followed by Townsend with 14. The two both led the Spiders with seven rebounds. Budnik posted four blocks, four rebounds and nine points. Senior guard Claire Holt had a season-high of five rebounds, in addition to a steal, an assist and six points. 

Women’s tennis 

Jan. 21: Loss 0-7 vs. University of Virginia

The women’s tennis team lost to No. 7 University of Virginia 7-0. In doubles, UVA’s duo of Emma Navarro and Amber O’Dell defeated graduate Emily Dunbar and sophomore Sara Salemyr 6-0. The Spiders finished 1,3,2 in doubles and 2,1,6,3,5,4 in singles. 

Men’s tennis

Jan 22: Loss 0-7 vs. University of Virginia 

The men’s tennis team also lost to UVA 7-0. The Spiders dropped their first two doubles matches 6-1. The Spiders fell in straight sets in their first four doubles matches. Sophomore Daniel Kliebhan and senior John Walsh won the first set of their match before dropping the next two. 

Women’s track and field

January 21-22: UR at Liberty University Invitational 

The women’s track and field team participated in the Liberty Brant Tolsma Invitational at Lynchburg, Virginia. 

Junior Kamryn Ross secured two personal best times, including her 60m hurdle record with a mark of 8.61 which she placed third place in. Her time placed her in a tie for first in the Atlantic 10 this season. Ross also had a career-best 200m dash record with 25.22 and placed third in the event. 

Senior Tamar Accius placed third in the 60m dash with a preliminary time of 7.79 and later dropped it to 7.71 in the finals. 

Senior Rachel Helbling placed second in the 400m dash with a 55.97 and first-year Virginia Beringer placed 20th with a 1:00.47. 

First-year Lindsay Colflesh made her collegiate debut in the 800m run with a time of 2:19.47. First-years Morgan Lyons and Dylan Miller respectively ran 2:32.47 and 2:39.88. 

Contact sports writer Kayla O'Connell at kayla.oconnell@richmond.edu and sports co-editor Andrew Cardounel at andrew.cardounel@richmond.edu.