Women's lacrosse maintains winning streak

<p>Graduate goalie Delaney Galvin guards the net at the Feb. 25 game against Stanford. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.</p>

Graduate goalie Delaney Galvin guards the net at the Feb. 25 game against Stanford. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.

The University of Richmond women’s lacrosse team won 11-10 today against Stanford University, continuing their winning streak for the season. 

Dropkick Murphys’ “Shipping Up To Boston” rocked the stadium as the Spiders got hyped knocking sticks and yelling “let's go,” the game kicked off with UR gaining possession and rushing down the field to the goal. 

Possession between UR and Stanford switched back and forth until 10:11 when senior attacker Evelyn Roberts swooped into the Cardinals’ nest and scored for UR. The Spiders’ aggressive defense drove the Cardinals back into their end of the field, but they pushed through to UR’s goal, where they were fouled, and tied the game 1-1. 

Stanford continued to hold the pressure against UR’s defense, but graduate student goalie Delaney Galvin deflected two shot attempts and helped UR gain possession. Stanford retook the ball after a foul and gained the lead with a free position goal at 5:51. 

UR kept Stanford in check with a defense technique that proved successful at gaining possession after a save by Galvin. Junior midfielder Sophia Dicenso tied the game 2-2 soon after when she scored at 3:15.

As the clock went down to 12 seconds, the Spiders swarmed the Cardinals’ goal looking for a clear shot, junior attacker Arden Tierney saw an opening and scored. 

The second period started when UR won the draw control and battled Stanford for possession. At 12:11, Tierney assisted sophomore midfielder Leah Kenny in bringing the score to 4-2. 

Seconds later, the Spiders drew Stanford’s goalie out with a loose ball, which gave junior midfielder Lindsey Frank a picture-perfect opportunity to add another goal. 

UR and Stanford continued to battle for possession and goals with Stanford adding a tally at 8:45. At the 3:49 and 1:44 mark, graduate attacker Nicole Concannon added two tallies to the Spider’s board. 

The first half closed with UR leading against Stanford 7-4 after the Cardinals added a last-second goal. 

The third quarter started with the Stanford players in possession, and they made their way to UR’s goal where they scored. The Spider’s lost their grip on the two-point lead when Stanford closed the score to 7-6 at 9:34. 

With tensions high and the pressure on, it became anyone’s game at 7:42 when the Cardinals tied the score. 

After a foul by Stanford at 5:54, UR set up for a free position shot. As soon as the whistle blew, Concannon stepped off the line and pierced the Cardinal defense, UR was back in the lead 8-7. 

The energy in the final quarter increased when the Spiders and their fans cheered louder as the Spider’s fought to hold their lead. Both teams’ offense and defense were put to the test in their battle for possession and goals.

Stanford secured a goal at 9:17 to tie the game 8-8. At 8:24 UR regained the lead with a goal by senior attacker Lauren Kingsbury. 

UR brought back the two-point lead at 6:26 with a filthy behind-the-back shot by junior midfielder Kendall Duffy. Concannon stepped off the line and scored another goal, which extended UR’s lead to 11-8. 

Stanford added back-to-back goals and closed UR’s lead to 11-10 with 54 seconds left in the game.

UR walked away with its fourth straight win this season and a final score of 11-10. UR’s goalie Galvin walked away with 13 saves throughout the game.

The UR women’s lacrosse team will play again at 1 p.m. on March 4 against Coastal Carolina University at the Spider’s Robins Stadium. 

Contact sports co-editor Andrew Cardounel at andrew.cardounel@richmond.edu.