Bryce Vine to headline Spring Concert

<p>Bryce Vine sings at the 2019 Spring Concert.</p>

Bryce Vine sings at the 2019 Spring Concert.

Bryce Vine will return to the University of Richmond as the headliner for the Spring Concert on the last day of classes, April 22.

The concert will take place at 7 p.m. on Richmond Way in front of the Boatwright Memorial Library, according to an April 1 SpiderBoard Instagram post. All are welcome to attend the concert at no cost, said first-year Aminata Bamba, president of SpiderBoard.

The Spring Concert was also planned on the last day of classes to be a fun way of wrapping up the school year and gearing up for the summer, Bamba said.

After having to cancel the Spring Concert for the past two years because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Center for Student Involvement wanted to offer an exciting and uplifting event for the UR community, CSI assistant director Jesse Brookins said.

“We want to give you all a time and opportunity to unwind to enjoy yourself with some music and the opportunity for socializing and connecting with each other at a pretty cool event,” Brookins said.

Rapper Bryce Vine, known for original songs like "Drew Barrymore" and "Sour Patch Kids," performed at the most recent Spring Concert in 2019 as an opening act for Sean Kingston, so the decision to bring him back was simple, Brookins said. 

“The choosing of Bryce Vine as the main artist was definitely more from nostalgia,” Brookins said. “We felt like with the timing that we had in terms of being able to plan this nostalgia aspect for the seniors who saw him their freshman year now going into graduation might be a cool full-circle experience.”

Pop singer-songwriter Lisa Heller will also be featured in the Spring Concert as Vine's opening performance, Brookins said.

The Spring Concert won’t just feature musical performances, but there will also be an added surprise for attendees, Brookins said.

“We encourage everyone to show up and have a good time," Brookins said. "But you have to be there to find out what the surprise is."

While CSI was in charge of planning the Spring Concert, SpiderBoard, the Richmond College Student Government Association and the Westhampton College Government Association collaborated on the marketing and promotion, said first-year Lyla Van Hoven, SpiderBoard's vice president of programming.

Members of SpiderBoard, RCSGA and WCGA will be tabling around campus during the week leading up to the concert handing out flyers and merchandise including bucket hats, tote bags, shirts and sunglasses, said first-year Sydney Boehman, vice president of SpiderBoard.

Brookins said that members of SpiderBoard, RCSGA and WCGA also offered valuable input during the planning process.

“They are really the driving force of marketing and putting it together,” Brookins said. “Also, they lent an ear to what students may be interested in seeing and experiencing on the campus during the concert.”

The concert is a great opportunity to relax, connect with friends before finals and send off the graduating class of seniors, said first-year Alfie Price, RCSGA class of 2025 class chair.

Contact news writer Katie Castellani at katie.castellani@richmond.edu.