Spider Sports Recap | Week of Oct. 17

<p>&nbsp;The grassy field of Robin’s Stadium sporting the Spider’s red and blue.&nbsp;</p>

The grassy field of Robin’s Stadium sporting the Spider’s red and blue. 

Women's Tennis

Oct 19-24

The University of Richmond women's tennis team traveled down to Blacksburg, Virginia, to compete in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association tournament, which is the Women's Atlantic Regional Championship. Junior Carly Cohen placed 70th in the singles division and 41th place in the doubles division with her partner junior Leonor Oliviera. The Spiders will play next the Liberty Hidden Dual in Lynchburg, Virginia, on Nov. 12. 

Football

Oct. 22: Win 41-10 against Hampton

The University of Richmond men's football team took home a big win on the road versus Hampton University. The Spiders started off strong with a quick 22-yard touchdown pass from graduate student quarterback Reece Udinski to graduate student wide receiver Jakob Herres. Udinski passed for 314 yards. The Spiders finished the game with 498 yards, their most in a regular season game. The Spiders defense held the Pirates to zero points in the second half for a second straight week while holding the Pirates to only 31 yards. UR improves to 5-2 on the season and 3-1 in the CAA. The Spiders will head to Maine to take on the Black Bears on Oct. 29.

Soccer

Oct. 20: Draw 1-1 against Davidson

The University of Richmond Spiders fought out a 1-1 draw against Davidson College on Oct. 20 in Davidson, North Carolina. Sophomore Elle Dziadzio took a far shot from outside the 18-yard box, where junior Caitlin Sutton got the rebound and found the back of the net for the Spiders, scoring her first career goal. Sutton put the Spiders on the board first, but Davidson responded with a goal in the 14th minute. UR had eight shots in total and junior Casey Merz and senior Gianna Lucchesi held the Wildcats from scoring again. 

Oct. 23: Loss 1-0 against Loyola

The Spiders took on Loyola University Chicago for the last regular season home game at 2 p.m. on Oct. 23. The Spiders’ season concluded with a 1-0 loss. The Spiders ended the season with an overall record of 3-10-4 and 2-5-3 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Loyola scored in the 35th minute off a deflection from a Richmond defender. Richmond put up six shots in the second half with shots two from graduate student Molly Morgan. 

Field hockey

Oct 21: Lost 1-2 against UMass

The Spiders fell to number 20 University of Massachusetts. UMass took a 2-0 lead in the 36th minute. Senior Lindsey Frank put a goal on the board for the Spiders in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough to take the lead. UMass outshot the Spiders 14 to 10 in the game. The Spiders will stay at home and take on Stanford on Oct. 23. 

Oct 23: Loss 2-1 against Stanford 

UR’s field hockey team celebrated its seniors in their match against Stanford University on Oct. 23 at home. The Spiders fell short 2-1 to Stanford. The Spiders took the lead in the third quarter by a goal from sophomore Stevie Drum. Stanford answered by scoring two goals in the fourth quarter to end the game. The Spiders are now 6-11 and 2-4 in the A-10. They will end their regular season on Oct. 27 against Virginia Commonwealth University. 

Swimming and Diving

Oct. 21-22: The Spiders take home two wins in back-to-back meets

The swimming and diving team took on Davidson in the Richmond Duals on Oct. 21. The Spiders took the win with 157 points, while the Wildcats had 142. The Spiders took first in the 50 free, 200 medley, 100 free, 400 free relay, 200 back and one-meter diving contest. The Spiders came back for day two on Oct. 22 and took on Duquesne University, winning with 152 points. The Spiders will take on Marshall University, Vanderbilt University and Queen's University on Nov. 4 and 5. 

Men’s Golf

Oct. 23: UR ties for eighth 

The men's golf team ended its fall competition on Oct. 23 at the Furman Intercollegiate. They finished in a tie for eighth place in a 15-team field. Senior Lou Baker and junior Garrett Clark led the Spiders with a total score of 214 (+1) and tied for 16th place.

Contact sports writer Lexie Moskovit at lexie.moskovit@richmond.edu.