Spider Sports Recap | Week of April 3

<p>Spider golfer competes in Greenville, NC at the Ironwood Invitational on April 3 and April 4. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Spider golfer competes in Greenville, NC at the Ironwood Invitational on April 3 and April 4. Photo courtesy of Richmond Athletics. 

Women’s Golf 

April 3-4: Ironwood Invitational 

The women’s golf team traveled to Greenville, NC to compete in its last tournament of the regular season and tied for sixth place out of 11 schools after two days. Overall, the team shot a 290 (+2) in the final round of the tournament. This was the fifth-lowest score in a tournament round produced by the Spiders since the team’s inaugural season in 2002. First-year Hannah Lydic finished in the top 20 on the leaderboard, coming in tied for 14th place. In the final round, Lydic shot a 4-under 68 and ended the two-day event with an overall score of 218 (+2). The Spiders will compete in the Patriot League Championship from April 21 to April 23 to close out the 2022-2023 campaign. 

Baseball 

April 4: Loss 11-8 vs. James Madison University 

After a win over Atlantic 10 opponent Saint Joseph’s University April 2, the Spiders took on JMU at home two days later and were unable to pick up the victory. UR started the game in a hole as the team trailed 6-0 heading into the bottom of the second inning. However, UR fought back to make the score 7-5 through five innings. Ultimately, the Dukes scored four more runs in the last four innings while the Spiders could only muster three, resulting in an 11-8 UR loss. Redshirt senior left fielder Johnny Hipsman and junior second baseman Jared Sprague-Lott led the Spiders’ offensive output, each hitting a homerun. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Jake Michel lost his fourth game of the season on the mound. 

April 7: Loss 3-2 vs. The George Washington University 

The Spiders lost their second straight game in a tight match away against the Colonials. GWU started the game with three runs in the bottom of the second inning and kept the Spiders scoreless for the first three innings. The Spiders scored a run in both the fourth and fifth innings, but could not reach home a third time to tie the Colonials. Junior designated hitter Chase Conklin went 2-for-3 from the plate and scored a run. Graduate right-handed pitcher Brenden Argomaniz pitched 3.2 innings and allowed three runs, giving him his fourth loss of the season. 

April 8: Win 7-3 vs. GWU

UR won game two of the series against the Colonials by four runs. The Spiders’ offensive output came from first-year third baseman Jordan Jaffe and Hipsman, who totaled three hits apiece. Jaffe also had three RBIs. Despite GWU scoring the first run of the game, the Spiders eventually came alive in inning eight, scoring four runs to separate themselves from the Colonials on the scoreboard. This win was only the Spiders’ second conference victory. 

April 9: Win 13-3 vs. GWU 

The Spiders sealed the series victory in game three with a 13-3 win over the Colonials. The game was tied 2-2 through the first five innings, but UR scored 11 runs in the final four innings to make up for a slow start to the game. In the game, UR totaled 17 hits and held the Colonials to 7. Graduate outfielder Christian Beal and redshirt junior centerfielder Alden Mathes each had three hits and sophomore first baseman Jake Elbeery picked up four RBIs. Redshirt junior left-handed pitcher Jeremy Neff started the game and pitched four innings. However, graduate right-handed pitcher Kyle Subers picked up the win on the mound — his third of the season. After the series win, the Spiders’ record moved to 14-18 on the year. UR’s next game is away against the University of Virginia at 4 p.m. April 11. 

Men’s Tennis

April 5: Loss 5-2 vs. the College of William & Mary 

After a 4-0 win away against Fordham University, the men’s tennis team lost their seventh match of the season away against the Tribe. The Spiders were successful in doubles play as junior Daniel Kliebhan and graduate student William Karpinski won their match 6-3 and juniors Sebastian Miano and Alaister Burke won their match 6-4. The other doubles match went unfinished. Kliebhan picked up UR’s only win in singles play. UR’s record sits at 11-7 with three matches remaining in the regular season. The team plays next at home against Davidson College at 1 p.m. April 14. 

Women’s Lacrosse

April 5: Loss 20-10 vs. JMU 

The women’s lacrosse team’s five-game win streak was cut short away against the Dukes, who came into the contest ranked fourth in the country. UR put up double-digits on the scoreboard but were outscored by JMU in every quarter but the fourth. Senior midfielder Sophia DiCenso, sophomore attacker Colleen Quinn and first-year attacker Alexis Morton each scored two goals in the game. Seniors, attacker Arden Tierney and midfielder Lindsey Frank, each dished out three assists.  

April 8: Win 18-6 vs. La Salle University 

After a 10 goal loss to JMU, the Spiders traveled back home and picked up the win against A-10 opponent La Salle. The Spiders got off to a quick start and led the Explorers 6-3 at halftime. The second half, though, is when UR’s offense truly came alive as the team scored 12 goals in the final 30 minutes of regulation. Sophomore midfielder Grace Muldoon and Tierney each scored two goals and dished out three assists. Tierney also had 17 draw controls in the game and broke the single-season program record for the statistical category with 122 and counting this season. To put an exclamation point on the afternoon, Tierney and Frank also scored their 200th career points for the Spiders and Quinn, who totaled six goals in the game, scored her 100th point. The Spiders are 11-3 with three games remaining before the A-10 Tournament. UR’s next game is away against GWU at 1 p.m. April 15. 

Track & Field

April 8: Miami Hurricanes Alumni Invitational & the Christopher Newport University Captain’s Classic 

The Spiders had competitors in both the Miami Hurricanes Alumni Invitational event and the Christopher Newport University Captain’s Classic event. In the former, which took place in Coral Gables, FL, junior Madison Trippett finished in first place in the 1500m with a 4:21.41 time. Graduate student Kyra Keurentjes also placed first in her 800m race with 2:07.82 time. Also in the 800m, seniors Kayla O’Connell and Kate McAndrew took home third and fourth place, respectively. As for the other event, which took place in Newport News, VA, the Spiders competed in the 800m event as well. Sophomore Morgan Lyons brought home first place, senior Maddie Orr brought home second place, sophomore Emily Rzucidlo brought home third place and sophomore Aylin Bruce brought home fifth place. First-years Nina Lavelle and Elke Van der Westhuizen both finished in second place in the 200m and 400m respectively.  The Spiders will have competitors at both the Mt. SAC Relays and the Bryan Clay Invitational from April 12 to April 15. 

Men’s Lacrosse

April 8: Win 13-12 vs. the University of Massachusetts 

After a close loss to SJU April 1, the men’s lacrosse team played another close game against the Minutemen. This time around, however, the Spiders took home the victory. UMass had a slight edge scoring-wise in quarter one, leading 3-2, but UR jumped ahead 8-6 by the time halftime came around. Through three quarters, the Spiders still held a three-goal lead, 11-8, and even though the Minutemen outscored UR by a goal in quarter four, the Spiders escaped with the victory. Junior attacker Luke Grayum and first-year midfielder Joe Sheridan each scored three goals. Sheridan’s efforts earned him A-10 Rookie of the Week. Senior attacker Dalton Young scored two goals and had a game high five assists. The Spiders’ record sits at 6-4 with three regular season games remaining. UR’s next game is at home against High Point University at 5 p.m. April 15. 

Contact sports editor Jimmy James at jimmy.james@richmond.edu