UR defeats VCU in sixth annual Capital Cup

<p>UR women's club field hockey team. Photo courtesy of women's club field hockey team.&nbsp;</p>

UR women's club field hockey team. Photo courtesy of women's club field hockey team. 

The University of Richmond defeated rival Virginia Commonwealth University in the 2023 Capital Cup with a score of 7-6.

The Capital Cup is an annual competition between both schools' club sports teams. The schools face off in 13 games, with seven being the magic number to clinch the title. Since last year's Capital Cup ended in a tie at 6-6, this year's competition held even greater significance.

The games began on March 16, when baseball and crew began the series with two tough losses, giving VCU a 2-0 lead going into day two.

UR swept VCU in all three events on March 17. Both the men’s and women’s soccer teams won 1-0 and 2-1, respectively, while the rugby team dominated with a resounding 26-0 victory, putting UR ahead in the series 3-2. 

Sophomore Aaron Squire, a member of the club rugby team, said that this game was preparation for a bigger goal. 

“Honestly, this win didn't mean much for us, since we were preparing for a 7's national qualifier, which we got the bid for last weekend. This 15's game was more just to give us some pitch time,” Squire said.

With these victories, the Spiders looked to build on their momentum going into day three, in an effort to take home the Capital Cup.

March 18 was a full day of events, with eight total games across both the VCU campus and the UR campus. 

UR hosted VCU for a day of closely contested matches. The day began with badminton and field hockey taking on their VCU counterparts, with both teams putting in strong performances but ultimately falling short. Despite a hard-fought effort from badminton, VCU emerged victorious, while field hockey lost 4-2 on Crenshaw Field, giving VCU a 4-3 lead in the series.

Sophomore Lindi Ruthven, a member of the club field hockey team, spoke about the intensity and energy the team had for this game.

“The energy was definitely different than any other game because we were not only playing for our team but the greater Richmond club sports community as we all wanted to beat VCU.”

UR and VCU continued to fight back and forth throughout the third day. The ensuing four games were all played on the UR campus, yet the schools split the share of wins. The UR spikeball team won at home, and the women’s lacrosse team added to the tally. 

VCU took two key wins on the UR campus. Women’s ultimate frisbee was in a back-and-forth battle against VCU, ultimately losing 8-7. In the Weinstein Center for Recreation, both men’s volleyball teams were ready to square off. In another close game, VCU took the win in the 5th game, and led in the series, 6-5.

VCU had the opportunity to clinch the Capital Cup with a win in tennis on their home turf. However, UR was not going out without a fight. UR tennis returned with a win and tied up the series 6-6, with one game remaining. 

UR had to win on the VCU campus to bring home the Capital Cup, and the men’s lacrosse team was given that feat. The Spiders emerged victorious, winning 12-8 and bringing home the sixth annual Capital Cup to UR.

Contact sports writer Anderson Coll at anderson.coll@richmond.edu.